fevereiro 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química
Artigo - Open Access.
RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF A COMMERCIAL FOOD GLAZE MATERIAL AND THEIR EFFECT ON THE FILM THICKNESS OBTAINED BY DIP COATING
ABSTRACT Glazing refers to the application of a coating material onto the surface of foods to enhance their shine and appearance. The objective of this work was to analyze the rheological properties of a commercial food glaze material and to study their effect on the film thickness obtained by dip coating. Glazing suspension (83.33% total solids content) was obtained using a commercial powder product. Apparent viscosity was determined (shear rate 0.650 s-1) and yield stress was estimated with a creep test (110 Pa during 5 s). Experimental data were analyzed applying the generalized HerschelBulkley model. A comparison between average thickness values obtained by dip coating and using a phenomenological mathematical model was carried out. All determinations were done at 20, 30, 40, and 50 C. Rheological parameters were obtained with satisfactory root mean squared errors. Good agreement between experimental and theoretical film thickness as affected by temperature was obtained.
-  BHATTACHARYA, S. Yield stress and time-dependent rheological properties of mango pulp. J. Food Sci., v. 64, p. 10291033, 1999.
-  BHATTACHARYA, S.; PATEL, B. K. Simulation of coating process: rheological approach in combination with artificial neural network. J. Texture Stud., v. 38, p. 555576, 2007.
-  CHAN, C-M.; VENKATRAMAN, S. Coating Rheology. In Coatings Technology Handbook, A. A. Tracton (Ed.). Boca Raton: CRC Taylor Andamp; Francis, 2006.
-  CHIN, N. L.; ABDULLAH, R.; YUSOF, Y. A. Glazing effects on bread crust and crumb staling during storage. J. Texture Stud., v. 42, p. 459467, 2011.
-  CHOI, Y.; OKOS, M. R. Food Engineering and Process Applications. London: Elsevier Applied Science, 1986.
-  Área temática: Engenharia e Tecnologia de Alimentos 7CISNEROSZEVALLOS, L.; KROCHTA, J. M. Dependence of coating thickness on viscosity of coating solution applied to fruits and vegetables by dipping method. J. Food Sci., v. 68, p. 503510, 2003.
-  GHORBEL, D.; BARBOUCHE, A.; RIAHI, H.; BRAHAM, A.; ATTIA, H. Influence of fat content on rheological properties of molten ice cream compound coatings and thickness of solidified products. J. Food Process Eng., v. 34, p. 144159, 2011.
-  KARNJANOLARN, R.; MCCARTHY, K. L. Rheology of different formulations of milk chocolate and the effect on coating thickness. J. Texture Stud., v. 37, p. 668680, 2006.
-  LEE, S.; NG, P. K. W.; STEFFE, J. F. Effects of controlled mixing on the rheological properties of deep-fat frying batters at different percent solids. J. Process Eng., v. 25, p. 381394, 2002.
-  MICHAILIDIS, P. A.; KROKIDA, M. K.; RAHMAN, M. S. Data and models of density, shrinkage and porosity. In Food Properties Handbook, M. S. Rahman, (Ed.). Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2009.
-  NGUYEN, Q. D.; BOGER, D. V. Measuring the flow properties of yield stress fluids. Annual Rev. Fluid Mech., v. 24, p. 4788, 1992.
-  NIETO, M. B. Structure and function of polysaccharide gum-based edible films and coatings. In Edible Films and Coatings for Food Applications. M. E. Embuscado, K. C.; Huber (Eds.). New York: Springer Science+Business Media, 2009.
-  OFOLI, R.Y.; MORGAN, R. G.; STEFFE, J. F. A generalized rheological model for inelastic fluid foods. J. Texture Stud., v. 18, p. 213230, 1987.
-  PERALTA, J. M.; MEZA, B. E.; ZORRILLA, S. E. Mathematical modeling of dip-coating process using a generalized Newtonian fluid. 1. Model development. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., v. 53, p. 65216532, 2014 a. PERALTA, J. M.; MEZA, B. E.; ZORRILLA, S. E. Mathematical modeling of dip-coating process using a generalized Newtonian fluid. 2. Model validation and sensitivity analysis. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., v. 53, p. 65336543, 2014 b. PERESSINI, D.; BRAVIN, B.; LAPASIN, R.; RIZZOTTI, C.; SENSIDONI, A. Starch-methylcellulose based edible films: rheological properties of film-forming dispersions. J. Food Eng., v. 59, p. 2532, 2003.
-  QUINTAS, M.; BRANDAO, T. R. S.; SILVA, C. L. M.; CUNHA, R. L. Rheology of supersaturated sucrose solutions. J. Food Eng., v. 77, p. 844852, 2006.
-  RAO, M. A. Rheology of Fluid and Semisolid Foods: Principles and Applications. New York: Springer Science+Business Media LLC, 2007.
-  YANG, MH. The rheological behavior of polyacrylamide solution II. Yield stress. Polymer Testing, v. 20, p. 635642, 2001.
-  Acknowledgments This research was supported partially by Universidad Nacional del Litoral (Santa Fe, Argentina), Consejo Nacional de Investigaciones Científicas y Técnicas (CONICET), and Agencia Nacional de Promoción Científica y Tecnológica (ANPCyT).
MEZA, B. E.; PERALTA, J. M.; ZORRILLA, S. E.; "RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF A COMMERCIAL FOOD GLAZE MATERIAL AND THEIR EFFECT ON THE FILM THICKNESS OBTAINED BY DIP COATING", p. 5015-5022 . In: Anais do XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química - COBEQ 2014 [= Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings, v.1, n.2].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2359-1757, DOI 10.5151/chemeng-cobeq2014-1837-17270-169430
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação