Fevereiro 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química
Artigo - Open Access.
HEAT EXCHANGER NETWORKS RETROFITTED WITH SIMULTANEOUS PRESSURE RECOVERY
This paper introduces a new optimization model for the retrofit of heat exchanger networks (HENs), wherein the pressure recovery of process streams is used to enhance the heat integration. Especially important in cryogenic processes, the HEN retrofit with optimal integration between heat and work is mainly aimed at reducing the usage of the extremely expensive cooling services. In this approach, the conventional problem of HENs retrofit is extended to include streams subjected to a specific pressure manipulation route. Thus, the adjustment of pressure levels of process streams is performed simultaneously with the HEN synthesis, such that the streams pressure and temperature are optimization variables. The mathematical model based on a mixed-integer nonlinear programming (MINLP) formulation allows for the increment of the existing heat exchange area, and the use of new equipment for both heat exchange and pressure manipulation. Moreover, the proposed superstructure considers the coupling of turbine and compressor with a helper motor, in order to minimize the total annualized cost composed by additional capital and operational expenses. A case study is conducted to verify the accuracy of the proposed approach. The results indicate that the pressure recovery is essential for reducing the energy consumption in a sub-ambient process and, consequently, for decreasing the total cost of the HEN retrofitted.
-  Couper, J.R., Penney, W.R., Fair, J.R., Walas, S.M. Chemical Process Equipment, Selection and Design. USA: Elsevier, 2010.
-  Onishi, V.C., Ravagnani, M.A.S.S., Caballero, J.A. Simultaneous synthesis of work exchange networks with heat integration. Chem. Eng. Sci., v. 112, p. 87–107, 2014a. Onishi, V.C., Ravagnani, M.A.S.S., Caballero, J.A. Simultaneous synthesis of heat exchanger networks with pressure recovery: optimal integration between heat and work. AIChE J., v. 60, p. 893–908, 2014b. Pan, M., Bulatov, I., Smith, R., Kim, J.-K. New MILP-based iterative approach for retrofitting heat exchanger networks with conventional network structure modifications. Chem. Eng. Sci., v. 104, p. 498–524, 2013.
-  Polley, G.T., Tamakloe, E., Picon Nunez, M., Ishiyama, E.M., Wilson, D.I. Applying thermo-hydraulic simulation and heat exchanger analysis to the retrofit of heat recovery systems. Appl. Therm. Eng., v. 51, p. 137–143, 201
-  Wang, Y., Smith, R. Retrofit of a heat-exchanger network by considering heat-transfer enhancement and fouling. Ind. Eng. Chem. Res., v. 51, p. 8527–8537, 2013.
-  Wang, Y., Smith, R., Kim, J.-K. Heat exchanger network retrofit optimization involving heat transfer enhancement. Appl. Therm. Eng., v. 43, p. 7–13, 2012.
-  Wechsung, A., Aspelund, A., Gundersen, T., Barton, P.I. Synthesis of heat exchanger networks at subambient conditions with compression and expansion of process streams. AIChE J., v. 57, p. 2090–2108, 2011.
-  Yee, T.F., Grossmann, I.E. Simultaneous optimization models for heat integration. II. Heat exchanger network synthesis. Comput. Chem. Eng., v. 14, p. 1165–1184, 1990.
ONISHI, V. C.; RAVAGNANI, M. A. S. S.; CABALLERO, J. A.; "HEAT EXCHANGER NETWORKS RETROFITTED WITH SIMULTANEOUS PRESSURE RECOVERY", p. 11350-11357 . In: Anais do XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química - COBEQ 2014 [= Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings, v.1, n.2].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2359-1757, DOI 10.5151/chemeng-cobeq2014-0245-26354-183068
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação