Fevereiro 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química
Artigo - Open Access.
ASSESSMENT OF ORGANOCLAY STRUCTURAL PROPERTIES AFTER GASOLINE ADSORPTION PROCESS
The removal of organic contaminants from water and wastewater is a key problem of environmental remediation which can be solved by adsorption process, especially with the use of organoclays for their abundance, variety and low cost. Therefore, this study aimed the evaluation of modifications on the structure of a commercial bentonite organoclay named Spectrogel due to the adsorption process with gasoline and isooctane. The characterization of the organoclay was accomplished through TGA, DSC, FT-IR, SEM/EDX, XRD and Helium picnometry analyzes before and after the process of gasoline removal. Modifications in the organoclay structure were verified and could be attributed to the adsorption process of the organic compounds. 1. INTRODUCTION According to the Environmental Company of State of São Paulo (CETESB) 80% of municipality of São Paulo are totally or partially dependant on underground water. Annual reports from CETESB (2012) shows that nearly 77% of identified contaminated areas of the state are due gas station activities. This follows up what the Environmental Protection Agency from USA (USEPA) surveyed on late 80’s. These contaminations are from expired underground fuel storage tanks and without proper maintenance according to Tiburtius et al. (2005). According to Wang et al. (2013) fuels like gasoline and diesel have highly toxic, carcinogenic and mutagenic additives like BTX, and if it was not bad enough the presence of alcohol worsen the risk of contamination by enhancing the mobility of all petroleum hydrocarbons on soil as studied by Adam et al. (2002). These fuels also damage the environment by changing soil permeability to water and harm the flora according to Zhang et al (2006). Among the treatments of oily water a very promising one is the adsorption process using organoclays due their high capability to remove hydrophobic contaminants from aqueous solutions. As clays are a very abundant in nature and cheap this represents an economic advantage in the process
-  ADAM, G.; GAMOH, K.; MORRIS, D.G.; DUNCAN, H. Effect of alcohol addition on the movement of petroleum hydrocarbon fuels in soil, Sci. Total Environ., v. 286, p. 15-25, 2002.
-  ALMEIDA NETO, A.F.; VIEIRA, M.G.A.; SILVA M.G.C., Cu(II) adsorption on modified bentonitic clays: different isotherm behaviors in static and dynamic systems, J. Mater. Res., v. 14 p. 1-14, 2012 ALTHER, G. R. Organically modified clay removes oil from water. Waste Manage., v. 15, n. 8, p. 623-628, 1995.
-  BALA, P.; SAMANTARAY, B.K.; SRIVASTAVA, S.K., Synthesis and characterization of Na-montmorillonite-alkylammonium intercalation compounds, Mat. Res. Bull., v. 35, p. 1717-1724, 2000.
-  BERTAGNOLLI, C; KLEINÜBING, S.J.; SILVA, M.G.C., Preparation and characterization of a Brazilian bentonite clay for removal of copper in porous beds, App. Clay Sci., 53 (2011) 73-79.
-  CETESB, Relation of contaminated and rehabilitated areas on State of São Paulo Andlt;http://www.cetesb.sp.gov.br/userfiles/file/areas-contaminadas/2012/texto-explicativo.pdfAndgt; (in portuguese) GILLOTT J.E., Clay in Engineering Geology, Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Ltd, 1968 GRIM, R. E., Clay mineralogy New York: McGraw-Hill, 1968.
-  KWOLEK, T.; HODOROWICZ, M.; STADNICKA, K.; CZAPKIEWICZ, J. Adsorption isotherms of homologous alkyldimethylbenzylammonium bromides on sodium montmorillonite. J. Colloid Interf. Sci., v. 264, n. 1, p. 14-19, 2003.
-  MARCOS, C.; ARANGO, Y.C.; RODRIGUEZ, I., X-ray diffraction studies of the thermal behaviour of commercial vermiculites, APPL CLAY SCI, v. 42, p. 368-378, 2009.
-  PEREIRA, K.R.O.; HANNA, R.A.; VIANNA, M.M.G.R.; PINTO. C.A.R.; RODRIGUES, M.G.F.; VALENZUELA-DIAZ F.R. Brazilian organoclays as nanostructured sorbents of petroleum-derived hydrocarbons. Mat. Res., v. 8, p. 77-80, 2005 TIBURTIUS, E. R. L.; PERALTA-ZAMORA, P. P; EMMEL, A.; LEAL, E. S. Treatment of gasoline-contaminated waters by advanced oxidation processes. J Hazard Mater, v. 126, p. 86-90, 2005.
-  WANG, F., LI, C., LIU, W., JIN, Y., Oxidative damage and genotoxic effect in mice caused by sub-chronic exposure to low-dose volatile organic compounds, Inhal. Toxicol., v. 25, n. 5, p. 235-242, 2013.
-  XI, Y.; FROST, R.L.; HE, H., Modification of the surfaces of Wyoming montmorillonite by the cationic surfactants alkyl trimethyl, dialkyl dimethyl, and trialkyl methyl ammonium bromides, J. Colloid Interf. Sci., v. 305, p. 150-158, 2007.
-  ZHANG, J., ZENG, J. Sorption of diesel oil on loam s in Beijing area. Acta Sci. Circumst., v. 26 n 2, p. 287-292, 2006.
SPERIDIÃO, D. D. C. A.; SANTOS, O. A. ANDREO DOS; VIEIRA, M. G. A.; "ASSESSMENT OF ORGANOCLAY STRUCTURAL PROPERTIES AFTER GASOLINE ADSORPTION PROCESS", p. 8774-8780 . In: Anais do XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química - COBEQ 2014 [= Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings, v.1, n.2].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2359-1757, DOI 10.5151/chemeng-cobeq2014-1480-19079-174833
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação