dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 8 - XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Design in Freedom
Article - Open Access.
“Use of urban interventions [place-practice] as a discourse for consolidating memory”: A case study of Sharjah cricket playgrounds
This research discusses how expatriates living in Sharjah intervene with the urban landscape through practices that allow them to take possession of that place-space and use it as a discourse to consolidate their identity. A thorough documentation of the urban sprawl of one of the major arteries of Sharjah was used as a means to collect imagery that portrays the human appreciation of the environment. A design-urban intervention was used as a discursive instrument to entitle us to make visible (and thus tangible) the transition from a simple sign of cultural identity into a memory for a collective society.
Palavras-chave: Urban Intervention, Practice, Place: Rituals, Memory,
-  Augé, M (1995) Non-places: Introduction to an Anthropology of supermodernity. London: Verso.
-  Aractingi, J Andamp; Le Pape, G (2011) Rituals and catechisms in ecu- menical rite in East and West at the crossroads masonics Paris: Editions L’Harmattan.
-  Bell, C (1997) Ritual: Perspectives and dimensions. New York: Oxford University Press
-  Benedetti, M. (1995) El olvido esta lleno de memoria. México, D.F.: Nueva Imagen
-  Casey, E (1996) How to get from space to place in a fairy short stretch of time: Phenomenological prolegomena. In S. Feld Andamp;
-  K. Basso (Eds), A Senses of Place (pp. 13-52. Santa Fe: School of American Research Press
-  Creswell, J (2009) Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approaches (3rd ed.). London: Sage Publications
-  Crotty, M (1998) The foundations of social research: meaning and perspective in the research process. London: Sage.
-  Cultural Capital of 1998 (2014) Retrieved from: http://www.sharjahtourism.ae/en/heritage/culture
-  Durkheim E (1997) The division of labor in society. New York: Free Press.
-  Halbwachs, M (1950) Collective memory. New York: Harper and Row Colophon Books.
-  Hirsch, E (1995) Landscape: Between place and space. In E. Hirsch Andamp; M O’Hanlon (eds) The anthropology of landscape: perspec- tives on place and space. Oxford: Claredon press.
-  Hubbard, P, Kitchin, R, Andamp; Valentine, G (2004) Key thinkers on space and place. London: Sage
-  Ingold, T (2008) Bindings against boundaries: Entanglements of life in an open world. Environment and Planning, A 40, 1746-1810.
-  La Varra, G (2003) Post it city: The other European public spaces in Boeri, S. Multiplicity. USE-Uncertain States of Europe. Milan: Skira.
-  Lee, J Andamp; Ingold, T (2006) Fieldwork on foot: Perceiving, routing, socializing. In Coleman, S. Andamp; Collins, P. (eds) Locating the Field: Space, Place and Context in anthropology (pp. 67-86) Oxford: Berg.
-  Lincon, Y Andamp; Guba, E (1985) Naturalistic inquiry. Beverly Hills. CA: Sage
-  Massey, D (2005) For space. London: Sage
-  Montaner, J (2013) Arquitectura y crítica (3rd ed.). Barcelona: Editorial Gustavo Giii
-  Moustakas, C (1994) Phenomenological research methods. Cali- fornia: Sage Publications
-  Newman, W (2000) Social research methods: Qualitative and quantitative approaches (4th ed). Boston: Allyn Andamp; Bacon
-  Pearce-Moses, R (2005) A glossary of archival and records termi- nology. Chicago, IL: Society of American Archivists
-  Pink, S (2012) Situating everyday life: practices and places. Lon- don: Sage
-  Rab, S (2011) Sharjah: Seascape urbanism in a Khaliji Port City.
-  ACSA Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture Annual Meeting, Montreal, Canada, March 3-7.
-  Roldán, J (2014) in J. Roldán and B. Cruz-Megchun. Opus 6. Sharjah Art Foundation. Collective exhibition.
-  Solá-Morales, I (1996) Presente y futuros. La arquitectura en las ciudades. Barcelona: Col.legi Oficial d’Arquitectes de Catalunya. Schatzki, T (2001) Introduction: practice theory. In T Schatzki, K Knorr-Cetina, Andamp; E Von Savigny (eds) The practice turn in contemporary theory. London: Routledge.
-  Schwandt, T (2007) Dictionary of qualitative inquiry (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Safe
-  Sheringham, M (2006) Everyday life: Theories and practices from surrealism to the present. Oxford: Oxford University Press Labor Migration in the United Arab Emirates: Challenge and Response (2014) Retrieved from www.migrationpoliy.org
Cruz-Megchun, Beatriz Itzel; Roldán, Juan; "“Use of urban interventions [place-practice] as a discourse for consolidating memory”: A case study of Sharjah cricket playgrounds", p. 497-501 . In: Proceedings of the XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Design in Freedom [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.8].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2014-0101
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação