Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
RELATIONSHIP OF MICROMOPHOLOGY TO CHARGE STORAGE AND TRANSFER PROPERTIES IN HETEROGENEOUS FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS
The present paper is concerned with heterogeneous materials in which the mor-phology is specifically designed to achieve functional properties. These materials, or mate-rial systems, are found in energy systems such as fuel cells and batteries, but also in aeronau-tical structures such as the conductive skins of commercial airplanes which have polymer composite primary structures. Many of these heterogeneous materials are dielectric and, under certain conditions, conductive. Charge transport and storage in such materials is typi-cally discussed in terms of equivalent (electrical) circuits, without recourse to first principles physics or mechanics. The present paper discusses the transport and storage properties of several examples of such materials from a computational standpoint, and compares some critical predictions with experimental data. Opportunities and needs for improving our un-derstandings and computational capabilities for this class of problems will also be discussed.
Palavras-chave: Heterogeneous functional materials, charge distribution.,
-  www.HeteroFoaM.com
-  Dowling, N.E., Mechanical Behavior of Materials, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1993
-  Bagotsky, V.S., Fundamentals of Electrochemistry, John Wiley Andamp; Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2006
-  Reifsnider, K.L., Case, S.W., Damage Tolerance and Durability of Material Systems, John Wiley, New York, 2002
-  Irwin G.R., Kies, J.A., Smith, H.L., “Critical energy release rate analysis of fracture strength”. Weld. J. Res. Suppl., 33, 193-198, 1954
-  Huang, K., Goodenough, J., Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Technology, Woodhill, New York, 2009
-  Orazem, M.E., Tribollet, B., Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy, John Wiley, New York, 2008
-  Kremer, F., Schonhals, A., Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy, Springer-Verlag, New York, 2002
-  Wagner, K.W., Arch.Elektrotech., 2, 371, 1914
-  Sillars, R.W., J. Inst. Elect. Eng., 80, 378, 1937
-  Tuncer, E., “Signs of low frequency dispersions in disordered binary dielectric mix-tures ”. J. Phys. D: Appl. Phys. 37, 334, 2004
-  Rabbi, F., Reifsnider, K., “Relationship of micro-structure morphology to impedance in heterogeneous functional materials”.
-  Proc. 8th Fuel Cell Science, Engineering and Technology, New York, 33170, 2012
-  Stafford, O.A., Hinderliter, B.R., Croll, S.G., "Electrochemical impedance spectrosco-py response of water uptake in organic coatings by finite element methods". Electro-chimica Acta 52, 1339-1348, 2006
-  Qi, G., Yang, Y., Yan, H., Guan, L., Li, Y., Qiu, X., et al. “Quantifying Surface Charge Density by Using an Electric Force Microscope with a Referential Structure”. Journal of Physics and Chemistry C , 204-207, 2009.
-  Brinkman, K., T. Iijima, and H. Takamura, "The oxygen permeation characteristics of Bi-1 (-) xSrxFeO3 mixed ionic and electronic conducting ceramics". Solid State Ionics. 181(1-2): p. 53-58, 2010.
-  Pal, U.B., D.E. Woolley, and G.B. Kenney, "Emerging SOM Technology for the Green Synthesis of Meltals from Oxides. Journal of Materials". (JOM), 32-35, 2001.
-  Brinkman, K., T. Iijima, and H. Takamura, "The Thickness Dependence of Oxygen Permeability in sol-Gel Derived Ce0.8Gd0.3O2-CoFe2O4 Thin Films on Porous Ceramic Substrates: A Sputtered "Blocking " Layer for Thickness Control". Mater. Res. Soc. Symp.
-  Proc. Volume 1126, Warrendale, PA, 2009, 1126: 145, 2009.
-  Hippel, A.R., Dielectrics and Waves, MIT Press, 1954
-  Prodromakis, T., Papavassiliou, C., “Engineering the maxwell-wagner plorization ef-fect”. Applied Surface Science 255 (2009) 6989–6994
-  Liu, Q., “Physalis method for heterogeneous mixtures of dielectrics and conductors: Accurately simulating one million particles using a PC”. J. Comput. Phys. 230 (2011) 8256–8274.
-  Liu,Q., “Directly resolving particles in an electric field: local charge, force, torque, and applications”. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng 90 (2012) 537–568.
-  Liu,Q., Reifsnider,K.L., “Heterogeneous mixtures of elliptical particles: Directly re-solving local and global properties and responses”. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Eng. (2012) Under Review.
-  Liu,Q., Reifsnider,K.L., “Accurate predictions of dielectrophoretic force and torque on many particles with strong mutual field, particle, and wall interactions”. Electro-phoresis (2012) Under Review.
Reifsnider, K.; Liu, Q.; Adkins, J.M.; Baker, J.; Rabbi, F.; Brinkman, K.; "RELATIONSHIP OF MICROMOPHOLOGY TO CHARGE STORAGE AND TRANSFER PROPERTIES IN HETEROGENEOUS FUNCTIONAL MATERIALS", p. 200-209 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-16685
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação