fevereiro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Full Article - Open Access.
Pevsner on Design education: meeting contemporary needs through the teaching of Art History
Sir Nikolaus Pevsner (1902-83), a twentieth-century titan in the history of architecture, art and design, never wrote a book nor an essay exclusively on design education. This, however, does not mean he had nothing to say about the current development of design and education for future generations in design professions. Pevsner, as an art historian, was well aware of the role that he could play in terms of the practice and education of his times. Unhindered by distinctions between different types of artistic creation, viz., painting, architecture, decorative arts, industrial design, etc., he considered increasingly fractionalized branches of art to be different expressions deriving from the same desire to give visual expression to one’s frame of mind; and, as art historians deal with the states of minds of artists and designers, Pevsner firmly believed that they were capable of contributing to the education of future designers-to-be, not only in providing knowledge of works created by forebears, but also by shedding light on the minds of artists and designers as wellsprings of creative power.
Palavras-chave: Sir Nikolaus Pevsner, Design education, Art history, Contemporary needs,
-  Causey, A. 2004. Pevsner and Englishness. In: Draper, P. (Ed.) Reassessing Nikolaus Pevsner: 161-174. Aldershot: Ashgate.
-  Games, S. 2003. Pevsner on Art and Architecture: The Radio Talks. London: Methuen.
-  Games, S. 2011. Pevsner—The Early Life: Germany and Art. London: Continuum.
-  Harries, S. 2011. Nikolaus Pevsner: The Life. London: Chatto And Windus.
-  Hume, d. 1757. Of the Standard of Taste. In: Green, T. H. And Grose, T. H. (Ed.) David Hume: The Philosophical Works, 3: 266-284. Aalen: Scientia Verlag.
-  Knight, R. P. 1805. An Analytical Inquiry into the Principles of Taste. London: T. Payne and J. White.
-  Naylor, G. 2004. Good Design in British Industry 1930-56. In: Draper, P.(Ed.) Reassessing Nikolaus Pevsner: 177-194. Aldershot: Ashgate.
-  Pevsner, N. 1936. Pioneers of the Modern Movement: From William Morris to Walter Gropius. London: Faber And Faber.
-  Pevsner, N. 1948. Design in Relation to Industry through the Ages, Journal of the Royal Society of Arts, 97: 90-101.
-  Pevsner, N. 1949a. From William Morris to Walter Gropius. In: Games, S. 2003. Pevsner on Art and Architecture: The Radio Talks: 36-41. London: Methuen.
-  Pevsner, N. 1949b. Richard Payne Knight. The Art Bulletin, 31 (4): 293- 320.
-  Pevsner, N. 1952. Reflections on not Teaching Art History. In: Games, S. 2003. Pevsner on Art and Architecture: The Radio Talks: 155-162. London: Methuen.
-  Pevsner, N. 1954. Twentieth-century Picturesque: An Answer to Basil Taylor’s Broadcast. Architectural Review, 115 (688): 227-229.
-  Pevsner, N. 1968. Studies in Art, Architecture and Design, 1: From Mannerism to Romanticism. London: Thames And Hudson.
-  Pevsner, N. 1973. Academies of Art: Past and Present. New York: Da Capo Press.
-  Pevsner, N. 1988. An Outline of European Architecture. Harmondsworth: Penguin Books.
-  Royal Institute Of British Architects (Riba). (Ed.) 1967. Nikolaus Pevsner: 1967 Gold Medallist. Journal of Royal Institute of British Architects, 74: 316-318.
-  Watkin, D. 1977. Morality and Architecture: Development of a Theme in Architectural History and Theory from the Gothic Revival to the Modern Movement. Oxford: Clarendon Press.
KONDO, Ariyuki; "Pevsner on Design education: meeting contemporary needs through the teaching of Art History", p. 32-36 . In: Farias, Priscila Lena; Calvera, Anna; Braga, Marcos da Costa & Schincariol, Zuleica (Eds.). Design frontiers: territories, concepts, technologies [=ICDHS 2012 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies]. São Paulo: Blucher, 2012.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0692-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação