Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
PARAMETRIC STUDY ON AIR CORE PHENOMENA AT LIQUID DRAINING FROM CYLINDRICAL TANK
An air core phenomenon observed from lavatory bowl draining in our daily lives has a very important scientific meaning because it is also observed from many industrial applications and related with a natural phenomenon such as tornado. Moreover since the air core affects the drain speed, it is deeply connected with a disaster such as flood from local heavy rain. Thus many studies preventing the air core from forming have been conducted and various types of vortex suppressor have been suggested. In this paper, the numerical simulation on air core phenomenon is introduced and a lot of simulating results such as cross-sectional flow field, air-core-formation time and so on are discussed in view of the reason of forming the air core. Simulations on various sized tanks and drain ports, and the initial rotating speed of cylinder wall have been conducted (total 56 cases). The container level heights firstly forming the air core were compared from each other case. From dimensional analyses, four non-dimensional parameters and the relating equation among them were determined.
Palavras-chave: Air core, Swirl velocity, Draining,
-  H. O. Anwar, “Formation of a weak vortex”. Journal of Hydraulic Research. 4, 1-16, 1966
-  H. O. Anwar, J. A. Weller, and M. B. Amphlett, “Similarity of free-vortex at horizontal intake”. Journal of Hydraulic Research. 16, 95-105, 1978.
-  L. L. Daggett, and G. H. Keulegan, “Similitude in free-surface vortex formations”. Journal of Hydraulic Division-ASCE. 100, 1565-1581, 1974.
-  R. Granger, “Steady three-dimensional vortex flow”. Journal of Fluid Mechanics. 25, 557-576, 1966.
-  G. E. Hecker, “Model-prototype comparison of free surface vortices”. Journal of Hydraulic Division-ASCE. 7, 1243-1259, 1981.
-  A. K. Jain, K. G. R. Raju, and R. J. Garde, “Vortex formation at vertical pipe intakes”. Journal of Hydraulic Division-ASCE. 104, 1429-1445, 1978.
-  A. W. Marris, “Theory of the bathtub vortex”. Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions of the ASME. 34, 11-15, 196
-  M. Padmanabhan, and G. E. Hecker, “Scale effects in pump sump models”. Journal of Hydraulic Engineering-ASCE. 110, 1540-1556, 1984.
-  B. H. L. Gowda, P. J. Joshy, and S. Swarnamani, “Device to suppress vortexing during draining from cylindrical tanks”. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets (AIAA). 33, 598-600, 1996.
-  B. H. L. Gowda, and H. Udhayakumar, “Vane-type suppressor to prevent vortexing during draining from cylindrical tanks”. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets (AIAA). 43, 381-383, 2005.
-  C. H. Sohn, B. H. L. Gowda, and M. G. Ju, “Eccentric drain port to prevent vortexing during draining from cylindrical tanks”. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets. 45, 638-640, 2008.
-  K. Ramamurthi and T. J. Tharakan, “Shaped discharge ports for draining liquids”. Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets (AIAA). 30, 786-788, 1992.
-  C. W. Hirt, and B. D. Nichols, “Volume of fluid(VOF) method for the dynamics of free boundaries”. Journal of Computational Physics. 39, 201-225, 1981.
Park, I. S.; Sohn, C. H.; "PARAMETRIC STUDY ON AIR CORE PHENOMENA AT LIQUID DRAINING FROM CYLINDRICAL TANK", p. 1786-1793 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18552
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação