Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
OPTIMUM PRE-STRESS DESIGN FOR FREQUENCY REQUIREMENT OF TENSEGRITY STRUCTURES
Structures composed of tension and compression elements in equilibrium are de- noted tensegrity structures. Stability of tensegrity structures is achieved through introducing initial member forces (pre-stress). The pre-stress design can be seen consisting of three differ- ent stages: (i) finding the bases of possible pre-stress states, (ii) finding admissible distribu- tions considering unilateral properties of the elements and stability of the structure, (iii) find- ing the optimum pre-stress pattern for certain magnitude from compatible pre-stress states. So far, no research has been carried out to connect the three steps, i.e. finding a suitable pre- stress pattern which also considers mechanical properties of the highly pre-stressed structure e.g. its natural frequencies. This paper aims at finding an optimum pre-stress pattern and level of pre-stress for the maximum frequency. The pre-stress problem is on a linear static level where no slackening is allowed. An optimization is performed to find the optimum pre- stress pattern from the self-stress modes obtained by a singular value decomposition (SVD) of the equilibrium matrix. The objective function is the first natural frequency of the struc- ture. Finite element analysis is employed for the linear analysis of the structure and a genetic algorithm for optimization i.e., a non-gradient method. The example considered is a double layer tensegrity grid consisting of 29 independent self-stress states. The method is applicable to complex asymmetric three-dimensional structures. The new aspect of this work is a link between the SVD analysis, finite element analysis and genetic algorithm.
Palavras-chave: Tensegrity structures, Pre-stress, Finite element analysis, Genetic algorithm.,
-  R. Motro, V. Raducanu, Tensegrity Systems, International Journal of Space Structures, 18(2), 77-84, 2003.
-  J. Quirant, Self-stressed systems comprising elements with unilateral rigidity: selfstress states, mechanisms and tension setting, International Journal of Space Structures , 22(4), 203-214 2007.
-  S. Pellegrino, Structural computations with the singular value decomposition of the equilibrium matrix, International Journal of Solids and Structures , 30 (21), 3025-3035, 199
-  H. C. Tran, J. Lee, Initial self-stress design of tensegrity grid structures, Computers and Structures , 88 (9-10), 558-566, 2010.
-  X. Xu, Y. Luo, Force finding of tensegrity systems using simulated annealing algorithm, Journal of Structural Engineering , 136, 1027-1031, 2010.
-  R. Connelly, Tensegrity structures: why are they stable?, Rigidity Theory and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Plenum Publishers, Dordrecht, New York , 47-54, 1999.
-  M. Ohsaki, J. Zhang, Stability conditions of prestressed pin-jointed structures, International Journal of Non-Linear Mechanics , 41, 1109-1117, 2006.
-  S. El-Lishani, H. Nooshin, P. Disney, Investigating the statical stability of pin-jointed structures using genetic algorithm, International Journal of Space Structures , 20 (1), 53-68, 2005.
-  S. Guest, The stiffness of prestressed frameworks: A unifying approach, International Journal of Solids and Structures , 43, 3-4, 2006.
-  A. Eriksson, Structural instability analyses based on generalised path-following, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering , 156 (1-4), 45-74, 1998.
-  A. G. Tibert, S. Pellegrino, Review of form-finding methods for tensegrity structures, International Journal of Space Structures , 18 (4), 209-223, 2003.
-  T. W. Murphey, Recent advances in gossamer spacecraft (Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics), AIAA, 2006, Chapter 1.
-  S. Dalil Safaei, A. Eriksson, G. Tibert, Application of flexibility analysis for design of tensegrity structures, in: Motro, R., ed, Structural EngineeringWorld Congress (SEWC), 2011 .
-  S. Dalil Safaei, G. Tibert, Design and analysis of tensegrity power lines, International Journal of Space Structures , 27, 2-3, 2012.
Safaei, Seif Dalil; Eriksson, Anders; Tibert, Gunnar; "OPTIMUM PRE-STRESS DESIGN FOR FREQUENCY REQUIREMENT OF TENSEGRITY STRUCTURES", p. 1258-1270 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18317
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação