Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
OPTIMUM DESIGN OF COMPOSITE RISERS USING A GENETIC ALGORITHM
Most of recent oil and gas discoveries in Brazil occurred in deepwater fields. Fiber reinforced composite materials present interesting characteristics for offshore applications, such as high specific strength and stiffness, high corrosion resistance, good thermal insulation, high structural damping properties, and fatigue resistance. This work deals with the optimum design of laminated composite risers using a genetic algorithm. The design of laminated composite risers is very difficult since the strength and stiffness of these components depend on the number of layers and the material, thickness, and orientation of each layer. Thus, the use of the conventional trial-and-error strategy is not adequate and it is necessary to apply optimization techniques. In this work the design variables are the number of layers and the thickness and orientation of each layer. A multi-objective formulation is adopted to minimize the weight and maximize the buckling safety factor of the composite riser. The optimization model includes strength and stability constraints and considers multiple load cases. The global analysis of the riser is carried out using the catenary equations and the stress computation in the critical locations is performed using the Classical Lamination Theory (CLT) and the theory of thin-walled tubes. The Tsai-Wu failure criteria is used to compute the safety factor. It is important to note that, due to manufacture constraints, the design variables can only assume discrete values. Therefore, a genetic algorithm is used for optimization since it can easily handle discrete variables. In addition to classical genetic operators, as crossover and mutation, this algorithm also includes operators specially designed to handle laminate structures, such as layer swap and layer deletion. The proposed formulation is applied in the design optimization of composite catenary risers with different water depths and top angles.
Palavras-chave: Composite Materials, Risers, Genetic Algorithms,
-  M. M. Salama. Some challenges and innovations for deepwater developments. In: Offshore Technology Conference, OTC 8455, 1997.
-  P. J. C. Tamarelle and C. P. Sparks. High-performance composite tubes for offshore applications. In: Offshore Technology Conference, OTC 5384, 1987.
-  K. L. Smith and M. E. Leveque. Ultra-deepwater production systems final report. Technical report, 2005.
-  O. O. Ochoa and M. M. Salama. Offshore composites: Transition barriers to an enabling technology. Composites Science and Technology, 2005.
-  L. C. M. Meniconi, S. R. Reid, and P. D. Soden. Preliminary design of composite riser stress joints. Composites Part A: Applied Sciences and Manufacture, 32:597–605, 2001.
-  F. A. F. Teófilo. Análise e projeto de risers compósitos em catenária. Master’s thesis, Federal University of Ceará, Brazil, 2010.
-  Z. Gurdal, R. T. Haftka, and P. Hajela. Design and Optimization of Laminated Composite Materials. John Wiley Andamp; Sons, 1999.
-  F. S. Almeida and A. M. Awruch. Design optimization of composite laminated structures using genetic algorithms and finite element analysis. Composite Structures, 88:443–454, 2009.
-  E. Potgieter and N. Stander. The genetic algorithm applied to stiffness maximization of laminated plates: review and comparison. Structural Optimization, 15:221–229, 1998.
-  J. H. Park, J. H. Hwang, C. S. Lee, and W. Hwang. Stacking sequence design of composite laminates for maximumstrength using genetic algorithms. Composite Structures, 52:217–231, 2001.
-  R. T. Marler and J. S. Arora. Survey of multi-objective optimization methods for engineering. Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, 26:369–395, 2004.
-  M.Walker and R. E. Smith. A technique for the multiobjective optimisation of laminated composite structures using genetic algorithms and finite element analysis. Composite Structures, 62:123–128, 2003.
-  C. M. Larsen and T. Hanson. Optimization of catenary risers. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 121:90–94, 1999.
-  R. L. Tanaka and C. A. Martins. Parallel dynamic optimization of steel risers. Journal of Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, 133, 2011.
-  I. N. Vieira, B. S. L. P. Lima, and B. P. Jacob. Optimization of steel catenary risers for offshore oil production using artificial immune system. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 5132:254–265, 2008.
-  A. A. Pina, C. H. Albrecht, B. S. L. P. Lima, and B. P. Jacob. Tailoring the particle swarm optimization algorithm for the design of offshore oil production risers. Optimization and Engineering, 12(1-2):215–235, 2010.
-  B. S. L. P. Lima, B. P. Jacob, and N. F. F. Ebecken. A hybrid fuzzy/genetic algorithm for the design of offshore oil production risers. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 64:1459–1482, 2005.
-  H. Yang, R. Jiang, and H. Li. Optimization design of deepwater steel catenary risers using genetic algorithm. Computational Structural Engineering, pages 901–908, 2009.
-  I. M. Daniel and O. Ishai. Engineering Mechanics of Composite Materials. Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, 2006.
-  F. A. F. Teófilo, E. Parente Jr, A. M. C. Melo, and A. S. Holanda. Análise de placas laminadas pelo m´etodo dos elementos finitos. In: XXIX Iberian Latin-American Congress on Computational Methods in Engineering, pages 1–21, 2008.
-  R. Cook, D. Malkus, M. Plesha, and R. J. de Witt. Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis. John Wiley Andamp; Sons, 2002.
-  J. N. Reddy. Mechanics of Laminated Composite Plates and Shells: Theory and Analysis. CRC Press, 2nd edition, 2004.
-  C. P. Sparks. Fundamentals of Marine Riser Mechanics: Basic Principles and Simplified Analysis. PennWell Books, 2007.
-  DNV - Det Norske Veritas. DNV-OS-F201 - Dynamic Risers - Offshore Standard, 2001.
-  Buckling of Thin-Walled Circular Cylinders. NASA SP-8007, Space Vehicle Design Criteria (Structures), 1968.
-  DNV - Det Norske Veritas. DNV-RP-F202 - Composite Risers - Recommended Practice, 2003.
-  H. J. C. Barbosa and A. C. C. Lemonge. An adaptive penalty scheme for genetic algorithms in structural optimization. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 59:703–736, 2004.
-  K. Deb. An efficient constraint handling method for genetic algorithms. Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 186:311–338, 2000.
-  D. E. Goldberg. Genetic Algorithms in search, Optimization and Machine Learning. Addison-Wesley, 1989.
-  F. A. Sadjadi. Comparison of fitness scaling functions in genetic algorithms with applications to optical processing. In: Proceedings of SPIE, 5557, 2004.
-  R. Kicinger, T. Arciszewski, and K. De Jong. Evolutionary computation and structural design: A survey of the state-of-art. Computers and Structures, 83:1943–1978, 2005.
-  O. Erdal and F. O. Sonmez. Optimum design of composite laminates for maximum buckling load capacity using simulated annealing. Composite Structures, 71:45–52, 2005.
-  A. R. M. Rao and P. P. Shyju. A meta-heuristic algorithm for multi-objective optimization design of hybrid laminate composite structures. Computer-Aided Civil and Infrastructure Engineering, 12(1-2):149–170, 2010.
-  E. J. Barbero. Introduction to Composite Material Design. CRC Press, 1999.
-  A. W. Blom, P. B. Stickler, and Z. Gurdal. Optimization of composite cylinder under bending by tailoring properties in circunferential direction. Composites: Part B, 41:157– 165, 2010.
-  J. Arora. Introduction to Optimum Design, volume 2nd. Elsevier, 2nd edition, 2004.
-  S. Adali, V. E. Verijenko, and A. Richter. Minimum sensitivity design of laminated shells under axial load and external pressure. Composite Structures, 54:139–142, 2001.
Silva, R. F. da; Rocha, I. B. C. M. da; Jr, E. Parente; Melo, A. M. C. de; "OPTIMUM DESIGN OF COMPOSITE RISERS USING A GENETIC ALGORITHM", p. 2578-2597 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18916
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação