Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
NUMERICAL INVESTAGATION OF THE MECHANISMS OF DESICCATION CRACKING IN FINE-GRAINED SOILS
Numerical simulations for desiccation shrinking and cracking in fine-grained soil, based on Distinct Lattice Spring Model by using a new developed micro mechanism, are performed. Negative pore water pressure and air entry value during drying are accountted for through a new introduced suction force constitutive law which describes the mechanical process of desiccation. Drying cracking of heterogeneous soil can be expressed by failure of the suction force at different time and different position where pore draining to dry is happening. The parameters obtained from free drying simulation are used to model the process of constrained drying. Comparisons are made between the simulation results and experimental data highlighting the capability of the model. A good agreement between simulation and exprimental presentation has been reached. In addition, the influences of random ratio and particle size are discussed in this paper as well.
Palavras-chave: Desiccation cracking, Distinct Lattice Spring Model, Air-entry, Crack pattern.,
-  Bazant, Z.P., Tabbara, M.R. Kazemi, M.T., and Cabot, G.P., "Random particle model for fracture of aggregate or fiber composites". J. Eng. Mech, 116(8), 1686-1705, 2009. (c) (d)
-  Buxton, G.A., Care, C.M. and Cleaver, D.J., "A lattice spring model of heterogeneous materials with plasticity". Modelling Simul. Mater. Sci. Eng., 9(6), 485-497, 2001.
-  Deng, G., Shen, Z.-J., and Yang, D.-Q., Numerical simulation of crack formation due to desiccation in clay surface. Chinese J. of Geotech. Eng., 28, 241-248, 2006
-  Dixon, D., Chandler, J., Graham, J., and Gray, M.N., "Two large-scale sealing tests conducted at Atomic Energy of Canada''s underground research laboratory: The buffer-container experiment and the isothermal test". Can. Geotech. J., 39(3), 503-518, 2002.
-  Hallett, P.D and Newson, T.A., "Describing soil crack formation using elastic-plastic fracture mechanics". Euro. J. Soil Sci., 56(1):31-38, 200
-  Kazerani, T., Zhao, G.F., and Zhao, J., "Dynamic fracturing simulation of brittle material using the distinct lattice spring method with a full rate-dependent cohesive law". Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering, 43(6), 717-726, 2010.
-  Kodikara, J.K., Rahman, F., and Barbour, S.L. "Towards a more rational approach to chemical compatibility testing of clay". Can. Geotech. J., 39(3), 597-607, 2002.
-  Kodikara, J.K. and Choi., X. A simplified analytical model for desiccation cracking of clay layers in laboratory tests. in 4th International Conference on Unsaturated Soils, April 2, 2006 - April 5, 2006. 2006. Carefree, AZ, United states: American Society of Civil Engineers.
-  Konrad, J.M. and Ayad, R., "An idealized framework for the analysis of cohesive soils undergoing desiccation". Can. Geotech. J. 34(4), 477-488, 1997.
-  Morris, P.H., Graham, J., and Williams, D.J. "Cracking in drying soils". Can. Geotech. J. 29(2), 263-277, 1992.
-  Nahlawi, H. and Kodikara, J.K. "Laboratory experiments on desiccation cracking of thin soil layers". Geotech. Geol. Eng., 24(6),1641-1664, 2006.
-  Nahlawi, H., Chakrabarti, S., and Kodikara, J., "A direct tensile strength testing method for unsaturated geomaterials". Geotech Test. J.. 27(4),356-361, 2004.
-  Ostoja-Starzewski, M., "Lattice models in micromechanics". Appl. Mech. Rev. 55(1),35-59, 2002.
-  Ostoja-Starzewski, M., Sheng, P.Y. and Jasiuk, I. "Damage patterns and constitutive response of random matrix-inclusion composites". Eng. Frac. Mech. 58(5-6), 581-606, 1997.
-  Peron, H., Delenne, J.Y. Laloui, L., and Youssoufi. M.S.El., "Discrete element modelling of drying shrinkage and cracking of soils". Comput. Geotech., 36:61-69, 2009
-  Peron, H., Hueckel, T., Laloui, L., and Hu, L.B., "Fundamentals of desiccation cracking of fine-grained soils: Experimental characterisation and mechanisms identification". Can. Geotech.J., 46(10), 1177-1201, 2009.
-  Rayhani, M.H.T., Yanful, E.K., and Fakher, A., "Physical modelling of desiccation cracking in plastic soils". Engi. Geol., 97,25-31, 2008.
-  Rodriquez, R., Sánchez, M., Ledesma, A., and Lloret, A., "Experimental and numerical analysis of desiccation of a mining waste". Can. Geotech. J., 44, 644-658, 2007.
-  Scherer, G.W. "Crack-tip stress in gels". J. Non-Cryst. Sol., 144: 210-216, 1992.
-  Shen, Z.-J. and Deng, G., "Numerical simulation of crack evolution in clay during drying and wetting cycle". Rock and Soil Mech., 25, 1-6+12, 2004.
-  Sun, J., Wang, G. and Sun, Q., "Crack spacing of unsaturated soils in the critical state". Chinese Science Bulletin, 54(12),2008-2012, 2009.
-  Towner, G.D., "The mechanics of cracking of drying clay". J. Agri. Eng. Res., 36(2),115-124, 1987.
-  Yesiller, N., Miller, C.J. Inci, G. and Yaldo, K., "Desiccation and cracking behavior of three compacted landfill liner soils". Eng. Geol., 57,105-121, 2000.
-  Zhao, G.-F., Fang, J. and Zhao, J. "A 3D distinct lattice spring model for elasticity and dynamic failure". Int. J. Numer. Anal. Meth. Geomech., 35,859-885, 2011.
-  Zhao, G.F. "Development of Micro-macro Continuum-discontinuum Coupled Numerical Method. PhD thesis". École Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL), Lausanne, Switzerland. 2010.
-  Zhao G.F, Zhao J. "Microscopic numerical modelling of the dynamic strength of brittle rock". In: Ma GW, Zhou YX, editors. Analysis of discontinuous deformation: new developments and applications. Singapore: Research Publishing. 633–640, 2009.
-  Zhu, J.B., Zhao, G.F. Zhao, X.B. and Zhao, J. "Validation study of the distinct lattice spring model (DLSM) on P-wave propagation across multiple parallel joints". Comput. Geotech., 38(2),298-304, 2011.
Gui, Y.; Zhao, G.; Khalili, N.; "NUMERICAL INVESTAGATION OF THE MECHANISMS OF DESICCATION CRACKING IN FINE-GRAINED SOILS", p. 210-224 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-16688
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação