Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
NOVEL BASIS FUNCTIONS FOR THE PARTITION OF UNITY BOUNDARY ELEMENT METHOD FOR HELMHOLTZ PROBLEMS
The boundary element method (BEM) is a popular tool for wave scattering problems. To reduce the number of degrees of freedom required, the partition of unity BEM (PUBEM) was developed in which the approximation space is enriched with a linear combination of plane-waves. Recent work has shown that the element ends are more susceptible to errors in the approximation than the mid-element regions. In this paper we propose that this is due to the reduced order of continuity in the Lagrangian shape function component of the basis functions. It will demonstrated that choosing trigonometric shapes functions, rather than classical quadratic shape functions, provides accuracy benefits.
Palavras-chave: Partition of unity, BEM, shape functions, Helmholtz, wave scattering,
-  Banaugh R. P., GoldsmithW., “Numerical diffraction of steady acoustic waves by surfaces of arbitrary shape”. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 35(10), 1590-1601, 1963.
-  Babuˆska I., Melenk J. M., “The partition of unity method”. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Engng. 40(4), 727-758, 1997.
-  Laghrouche O., Bettess P., Astley P., “Modelling of short wave diffraction problems using approximating systems of plane waves”. Int. J. Numer. Meth. Eng. 54(10), 1501-1533, 2002.
-  Perrey-Debain E., Trevelyan J., Bettess P., “Plane wave interpolation in direct collocation boundary element method for radiation and wave scattering: numerical aspects and applications”. J. Sound Vib. 261(5), 839-858, 2003.
-  B´eriot E., Perrey-Debain E., Ben Tahar M., Vayssade C., “On a Galerkin wave boundary element formulation for scattering by non-smooth obstacles”. Proc. WAVES 2007 Conf. Reading. 400-402, 2007.
-  Trevelyan J., Coates G., “On adaptive definition of plane wave basis for wave boundary elements in acoustic scattering: the 2D case”. Comput. Model. Eng. Sci. 55(2), 147-168, 2010.
-  Wrobel L. C., The boundary element method : applications in thermo-fluids and acoustics. John Wiley Andamp; Sons, 2002.
-  Jones D. S., Acoustic and electromagnetic waves. Clarendon Press, 1986.
-  Schenck H. A., “Improved integral formulation for acoustic radiation problems”. J. Acoust. Soc. Am. 44(1), 41-58, 1968.
-  Linton C. M., Evans D. V., “The interaction of waves with arrays of vertical circular cylinders”. J. Fluid Mech. 215, 549-569, 1990.
Peake, M. J.; Trevelyan, J.; Coates, G.; "NOVEL BASIS FUNCTIONS FOR THE PARTITION OF UNITY BOUNDARY ELEMENT METHOD FOR HELMHOLTZ PROBLEMS", p. 1319-1325 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18368
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação