dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Kapa magazine, 1990 – 1993: A survey on postmodern graphic design and appropriation
The essay aims to explore the graphic references of postmodern Portuguese magazine Kapa, published from 1990 to 1993. Designed by João Botelho and Luís Miguel Castro, the magazine was strongly influenced by the art direction of Alexey Brodovitch in Harper’s Bazaar (1934-1958), who played an important role in introducing the European Modernist aesthetics in American editorial background. The historical context of Kapa is exposed as well its editorial and graphic features. The “retro” expression of the magazine draws the importance of relating graphic references from Russian Constructivism and European Modernism to the American mainstream magazines of the 30s to 50s. The affinity between visual language and ideology is an important clue to understand the use of past references in postmodern design. This appropriation and the reasons beyond it are the main questions of this essay.
Palavras-chave: graphic design, postmodernism, appropriation, Ideology,
-  Adamson, G. and Pavitt, J. (ed) (2011) Postmodernism style and subversion, 1970-1990, London: VAndamp;A Publishing.
-  Cardoso, M. E. (1988) “A aventura dos jornais”, O Independente, May pp.
-  Drucker, J. and McVarish, E. (2009) Graphic Design History. A Critical Guide, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.
-  Foster, H. (1983) Postmodern culture, 4nd edition, London: Pluto Press.
-  Hollis, R. (2001) Graphic Design: A Concise History, London: Thames Andamp; Hudson.
-  Kalman T., Miller, J. A. and Jacobs, K. (2009) ‘Good History / Bad History’. In Looking closer Critical writings on graphic design (pp. 25-33). New York: Allworth Communications Inc.
-  Poynor, R. (2003) No more rules. Graphic Design and Postmodernism, New Haven: Yale University Press.
-  Purcell, K. W. (2002) Alexey Brodovitch, London: Phaidon Press.
-  Savage, J. (1983) ‘The Age of Plunder’, The Face, January, pp. 45-4
-  Wolfe, T. (1981) From Bauhaus to our house, New York: Picador.
Viegas, Patrícia; "Kapa magazine, 1990 – 1993:
A survey on postmodern graphic design and appropriation", p. 265-271 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0034
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação