Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
ISOGEOMETRIC ANALYSIS APPLIED TO NONLINEAR ELASTODYNAMICS
A numerical investigation is carried out in this work in order to evaluate the computational performance of a numerical model based on isogeometric analysis for applications on geometrically nonlinear elastodynamics. In the FEM (finite element method) practice, it is well known that the Newmark’s method is unconditionally stable for linear structural systems, but this characteristic is frequently lost when problems with nonlinear behavior are analyzed. Since numerical instability is induced owing to the lack of energy balance within every time step of the time integration process, numerical schemes with energy-conserving and controllable numerical dissipation properties are usually adopted to stabilize the time integration procedure. Therefore, the main objective of the present work is to determine if isogeometric analysis can handle dynamic problems more efficiently and more accurately than finite element models, especially for applications where the nonlinear response presents some drawbacks. In this sense, geometrically nonlinear dynamic problems are analyzed employing an isogeometric model based on NURBS (non-uniform rational B-splines), which is obtained considering the Bubnov-Galerkin weighted residual method. The kinematical description is performed using the corotational approach formulated in the context of isogeometric analysis and a transformation matrix given by the classical polar decomposition. The constitutive equation is written in terms of corotational variables according to the hypoelastic theory, where the small strain hypothesis is adopted. Large displacements and large rotations are also considered in the present scheme. Some numerical examples are analyzed to determine the behavior of the present formulation for nonlinear dynamic problems.
Palavras-chave: Isogeometric Analysis, NURBS, Elastodynamics, Corotational Formulation.,
-  K.J. Bathe, Finite Element Procedures, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1996.
-  K.J Bathe, M.M.I Baig, On a composite implicit time integration procedure for nonlinear dynamics, Computers and Strucutures 83 (2005) 2513-2524.
-  Y. Bazilevs, V.M. Calo, J.A. Cotrell, T.J.R. Hughes, A. Reali, G. Scovazzi, Variational multiscale residual-based turbulence modeling for large eddy simulation of incompressible flows, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 197 (2007) 173-201.
-  T. Belytschko, D.F. Schoeberle, On the unconditional stability of an implicit algorithm for nonlinear structural dynamics, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions of the ASME 42 (1975) 865-869.
-  D.J. Benson, Y. Bazilevs, M.C. Hsu, T.J.R. Hughes, Isogeometric shell analysis: The Reissner- Mindlin shell, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 199 (2010) 276-289.
-  P. Bézier, Définition numérique des courbes et surfâces I, Automatisme XI (1966) 25-632.
-  P. Bézier, Définition numérique des courbes et surfâces II, Automatisme, XII (1967) 17- 21.
-  P. Bézier, Numerical Control: Mathematics and Applications, John Wiley Andamp; Sons, London, 1972.
-  A.L. Braun, A.M. Awruch, Geometrically non-linear analysis in elastodynamics using the eight-node finite element with one-point quadrature and the generalized-a method, Latin American Journal of Solids and Structures 5 (2008) 17-45.
-  J. Chung, G.M. Hulbert, A time integration algorithm for structural dynamics with improved numerical dissipation: the generalized-a method, Journal of Applied Mechanics, Transactions of the ASME 60 (1993) 371-375.
-  J.A. Cottrell, Hughes, T.J.R. and Bazilevs, Y., Isogeometric Analysis: Towards Integration of CAD and FEA.Wiley, 2009.
-  M.G. Cox, The Numerical Evaluation of B-splines, Technical Report, National Physics Laboratory, DNAC 4, 1971.
-  C. De Boor, On calculation with B-splines, Journal of Approximation Theory 6 (1972) 50–62.
-  L.A. Duarte Filho, A.M. Awruch, Geometrically nonlinear static and dynamic analysis of shells and plates using the eight-node hexahedral element with one-point quadrature, Finite Elements in Analysis and Design 40 (2004) 1297-1315.
-  L.F.R. Espath, A.L. Braun, A.M. Awruch, An introduction to isogeometric analysis applied to solid mechanics, Mecánica computacional 30 (2011) 1955-1975.
-  H.M. Hilber, T.J.R. Hughes, R.L. Taylor, Improved numerical dissipation for the time integration algorithms in structural dynamics, Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics 5 (1977) 283-292.
-  T.J.R Hughes, T.K. Caughey, W.K. Liu, Finite element methods for nonlinear elastodynamics which conserve energy, Journal of Applied Mechanics – Transactions of ASME 45 (1978) 366-370.
-  T.J.R. Hughes, J. Cottrell, Y. Bazilevs, Isogeometric analysis: cad, finite elements, nurbs, exact geometry and mesh refinement, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 194 (2005) 4135–4195.
-  T.J.R Hughes, J. Winget, Finite rotations effects in numerical integration of rate construtive equations arising in large deformation analysis, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 15 (1980) 1862–1867.
-  J. Kiendl, Y. Bazilevs, M.C. Hsu, R. Wüchner, K.U. Bletzinger, The bending strip method for isogeometric analysis of Kirchhoff-Love shell structures comprised of multiple patches, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering 199 (2010) 2403- 2416.
-  D. Kuhl, M.A. Crisfield, Energy-conserving and decaying algorithms in non-linear structural dynamics, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, 45 (1999) 569-599.
-  D. Kuhl, E. Ramm, Constraint energy momentum and its application to non-linear dynamics of shells, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, 136 (1996) 293-315.
-  L.E. Malvern, Introduction to the Mechanics of a Continuous Medium, Prentice Hall, New Jersey, 1969.
-  N.N. Newmark, A method of computation for structural dynamics, Journal of the Engineering Mechanics Division, Proceedings of the ASCE 85-EM3 (1959) 67-94.
-  R.R. Patterson, Projective transformations of the parameter of a Bernstein-Bézier curve, ACM TOG 4 (1985) 276–290.
-  L. Piegl, W. Tiller, The NURBS Book (Monographs in Visual Communication), Second Edition, Springer-Verlag, New York, 1997.
-  R.F. Riesenfeld, Homogeneous coordinates and projective planes in computer graphics, IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications 1 (1981) 50–55.
-  D.F. Roberts, Homogeneous matrix representation and manipulation of n-dimensional constructs, Tecnical Report ms-1405, Lincoln Laboratory, MIT, 1965.
-  J.C. Simo, N. Tarnow, The discrete energy-momentum method. Conserving algorithms for nonlinear elastodynamics, Journal of Applied Mathematics and Physics 43 (1992) 757- 792.
-  W.D. Wood, M. Bossak, O.C. Zienkiewicz, An alpha modification of Newmark’s method, International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering 15 (1981) 1562- 1566.
Espath, L.F.R.; Braun, A.L.; Awruch, A.M.; "ISOGEOMETRIC ANALYSIS APPLIED TO NONLINEAR ELASTODYNAMICS", p. 2448-2467 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18876
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação