Fevereiro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Full Article - Open Access.
How to supply designers effectively with knowledge about accessibility and inclusion?
The present paper analyses the flaws of current accessibility evaluation tools and techniques compared to the needs of industrial designers. This is part of an on-going research that investigates effective ways to supply project developers with knowledge about accessibility and inclusion. The outcomes based on empirical study conducted with industrial designers underline the need of supportive tools more integrated to design activity.
Palavras-chave: Inclusive design, Universal design, Industry, Design activity, Users,
-  Burns , Cm, Vicente, Kj, Christoffersen, K And Pawlak, WS 1997, ‘Towards viable, useful and usable human factors design guidance’, Applied Ergonomics, vol. 28, no. 5-6, pp. 311-22.
-  Cardoso, C, Simeon, K And Clarkson, J 2003, ‘Assessment for Inclusive Design’, in J Clarkson, R Coleman, K Simeon And C Lebbon (eds), Inclusive design : design for the whole population, Springer, London, pp. 458-76.
-  Clarkson, PJ, Coleman, R, Hosking, I And Waller, S 2007, Inclusive design toolkit., Engineering Design Centre, University of Cambridge, UK.
-  Dong, H, Keates, S And John Clarkson, P 2004, ‘Inclusive design in industry: Barriers, drivers and the business case’, Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), vol. 3196, pp. 305-19.
-  Goodman-Deane, J, Langdon, P And Clarkson, J 2010, ‘Key influences on the user-centred design process’, Journal of Engineering Design, vol. 21, no. 2-3, pp. 345-73.
-  Hitchcock, D And Taylor, A 2003, Simulation for Inclusion - true user centred design, in Include 2003 Conference Proceedings, London.
-  Law, CM, Yi, JS, Choi, YS And Jacko, JA 2008, ‘A systematic examination of universal design resources: Part 1, heuristic evaluation’, Universal Access in the Information Society, vol. 7, no. 1-2, pp. 31-54.
-  Macdonald, A, Loudon, D, Rowe, Pj, Samuel, D, Hood, V, Nicol, Ac And Conway, B 2006, ‘InclusiveCAD: a software resource for designers.’, in J Clarkson , P Langdon And P Robinson (eds), Designing Accessible Technology, Springer, London.
-  Marshall, R, Case, K, Porter, Jm, Sims, R And Gyi, De 2004, ‘Using HADRIAN for eliciting virtual user feedback in ‘design for all’’, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, vol. 218, no. 9, pp. 1203-10.
-  Norman, D 2002, The design of everyday things, Basic Books, New York.
-  Stephanidis, C And Salvendy, G 1998, ‘Toward an Information Society for All: An International Research and Development Agenda’, International Journal of Human-Computer Interaction, vol. 10, no. 2, p. 107.
-  Veritas D4.1.3_v2, V 2010, Project Presentation and Project Description Leaflet.
-  Zitkus, E, Langdon, P And Clarkson, J (2011) ‘‘Accessibility Evaluation: assistive tools for design activity in product development.’’ IST Press, Leiria, Portugal, SIM Conference Proceedings, 1, 659-670.
-  Zitkus, E., Langdon, P.M. And Clarkson, P.J. (2012) ‘Design advisor: How to supply designers with knowledge about inclusion’ in Designing Inclusive Systems.
-  Zitkus, E., Langdon, P.M. And Clarkson, P.J. (2012) ‘Can computer graphic systems be used to inform designers about inclusivity?’ in 12th International Design Conference (DESIGN 2012), Dubrovnik, Croatia, (In press)
ZITKUS, Emilene; LANGDON, Patrick; CLARKSON, John; "How to supply designers effectively with knowledge about accessibility and inclusion?", p. 322-326 . In: Farias, Priscila Lena; Calvera, Anna; Braga, Marcos da Costa & Schincariol, Zuleica (Eds.). Design frontiers: territories, concepts, technologies [=ICDHS 2012 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies]. São Paulo: Blucher, 2012.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0692-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação