fevereiro 2015 vol. 1 num. 2 - XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química
Artigo - Open Access.
FUSEL OIL INFLUENCE IN ETHANOL DISTILLATION
Mayer, Flávio Dias; Feris, Liliana Amaral ; Marcilio, Nilson Romeu ; Staudt, Paula Bettio ; Hoffmann, Ronaldo ; Baldo, Vanessa ;
The components of fusel oil form azeotropes with water, resulting in challenges in obtaining hydrous ethanol fuel (HEF) as well as higher investment and operating costs. The aim of this study was to evaluate the influence of fusel oil duringHEF distillation. Mixtures of ethanol (6.0 to 6.5 %m/m) and water (93.0 to 94 %m/m) containing different concentrations (zero to 0.5 %m/m) of 3-methyl-1-butanol, 2- methyl-1-propanol, propan-1-ol and propan-2-ol were distilled in a laboratory apparatus. The results obtained in total reflux demonstrated the possibility of obtaining HEF according to Brazilian legislation specifications, although the desired concentration was not reached during continuous operation. All experiments resulted in a high loss of ethanol in the bottom product across multiple operating conditions. The results demonstrated that while fusel oil does affect HEF distillation, it does not prevent the attainment of HEF that is in conformity with Brazilian legislation.
-  Amorim, H. V., Alcoholic Fermentation: Science and Technology (in Portuguese). Fermentec Editora, Piracicaba (2005).
-  ANP – National Agency of Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels. Resolution ANP n° 07, february, 09, 2011. Available at http://www.anp.gov.br. (2011) (in portuguese).
-  ANP – National Agency of Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels. Technical Note 04/2013/SBQ/CPT-101-DF. Brasilia (2013).
-  ANP – National Agency of Oil, Natural Gas and Biofuels. Technical Note 97/2013/SBQ/CPT-101-DF. Brasilia (2013).
-  BASF. Isobutanol. Technical Leaflet. Petrochemicals (2008). Available at Andlt;http://www.solvents.basf.com/portal/load/fid228773/isobutanol_e_03_08.pdfAndgt;. Batista, F. R. M. and Meirelles, A. J. A., Computer simulation applied to studying continuous spirit distillation and product quality control. Food Control, 22 (2011).
-  Borzani, W., Vairo, M. L. R., Koshimizu, L. H., Cruz, M. R. de Melo and L. Perego, JR.. Kinetics of amyl alcohol production during ethanol fermentation of blackstrap molasses. Biomass, 1 (1981).
-  Brau, H. M., Review on the origin and composition of fusel oil. Technical Paper 17, Agricultural Experiment Station, University of Puerto Rico, Río Pedras, Puerto Rico (1957).
-  Cataluña, R., Silva, R., Menezes, E. W., Ivanov, R. B.. Specific consumption of liquid biofuels in gasoline fuelled engines. Fuel, 87 (2008).
-  Council Directive 85/536/EEC of 5 December 1985 on crude-oil savings through the use of substitute fuel components in petrol. Official Journal of the European Communities L 334, 12/12/1985.
-  Gaiser, M., Bell, G. M., Lim, A. W., Roberts, N. A., Faraday, D. B. F., Schulz, R. A. and Grob. R. Computer simulation of a continuous whisky still. J. Food Eng., 51 (2002).
-  Garcia, V., Distillery byproduct of fusel oil: characterization and study of the chemical composition of its industrial application (in Portuguese). Master Dissertation, São Caetano do Sul, SP, Brazil (2008).
-  Green, D. W., Perry, R. H., Perry’s Chemical Engineer’s Handbook. McGraw-Hill, New York (2008).
-  Gutierrez, L. E., Production of higher alcohols by Saccharomyces strains during alcoholic fermentation. Scientia Agricola, 50, 3 (1993).
-  Kadir, S., Decloux, M., Giampaoli, P. and Joulia, J., Liquid–liquid equilibria of the ternary systems 3-methyl-1-butanol + ethanol + water and 2-methyl-1-propanol + ethanol + water at 293.15K. J. Chem. Eng. Data, 4, 53 (2008).
-  Küçük, Z. and Ceylan, K.. Potential utilization of fusel oil: A kinetic approach for production of fusel oil esters through chemical reaction. Turk. J. Chem., 22 (1998).
-  IBP, Manual do Álcool. Instituto Brasileiro do Petróleo, Rio de Janeiro (1987).
-  Lachenmeier, D. W., Haupt, S. and Schulz, K.. Defining maximum levels of higher alcohols in alcoholic beverages and surrogate alcohol products. Regul. Toxicol. Pharm., 50 (2008).
-  Lima, U. A., Aquarone, E., Borzani, W. and Schmidell, W., Industrial Biotechnology – Enzimatic and Fermentative Processes (in Portuguese), Edgard Blücher, São Paulo (2001).
-  Mayer, F. D., Hoffmann, S. R. and Hoffmann, R, An innovative project involving an appropriate hybrid distillation system for small-scale ethanol fuel production. Chem. Eng. Commun., 4, 200 (2013).
-  Opdyke, D. L. J., Isoamyl alcohol. Food Cosmet. Toxicol., 1, 16 (1978).
-  Patil, A. G., Koolwal, S. M. and Butala, H. D., Fusel oil: Composition, removal and potencial utilization. Int. Sugar J., 1238, 104 (2002).
-  Pérez, E. R., Cardoso, D. R. and Franco, D. W., Analysis of the alcohols, esters and carbonyl compounds in fusel oil samples (in Portuguese). Quim. Nova, 1, 24 (2001).
-  Rasovsky, E. M., Alcohol: Distilleries (in Portuguese). Coleção canavieira, Rio de Janeiro (1979).
-  Russel, I., Whysky: Technology, Production and Marketing. Handbook of Alcoholic Beverages Series. Academic Press, London (2003).
-  Speight, J. G., Perry’s standard tables and formulas for chemical engineers.McGraw-Hill, Hong Kong (2003).
-  Simmonds, C., Alcohol: It’s production, properties, chemistry and industrial applications. Macmillan and Co. Limited, London, England (1919).
-  Valderrama, J. O., Faúndez, C. A. and Toselli, L. A., Advances on modeling and simulation of alcoholic distillation. Part 2: Process simulation. Food Bioprod. Process., 4, 90 (2012).
-  Walker, G. M., Yeast: physiology and biotechnology. John Wiley Andamp; Sons, West Sussex, England (1998).
-  Webb, A. D. and Ingraham, J. L.. Fusel oil. Adv. Appl. Microbiol., 5 (1963).
Mayer, Flávio Dias; Feris, Liliana Amaral ; Marcilio, Nilson Romeu ; Staudt, Paula Bettio ; Hoffmann, Ronaldo ; Baldo, Vanessa ; "FUSEL OIL INFLUENCE IN ETHANOL DISTILLATION", p. 14513-14520 . In: Anais do XX Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Química - COBEQ 2014 [= Blucher Chemical Engineering Proceedings, v.1, n.2].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2359-1757, DOI 10.5151/chemeng-cobeq2014-0101-27035-158045
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação