fevereiro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Full Article - Open Access.
Eastern craft in Orientalism and Modern Design
This article focuses on furniture inspired by Eastern culture in Orientalism and modern design and clarifies the acceptance of the East not only as exoticism but also as inspiration for new design and theory beyond century. Eastern craft often offered new images from the eighteenth to the twentieth century, and this historical process is easily seen. Therefore, with regard to craft, the East was not an “other” as Said has suggested.
Palavras-chave: Chinoiserie, Japonisme, Japanese Design, Scandinavian Design,
-  Benjamin, W. “Paris the capital of nineteenth century,” Walter Benjamin: Selected Writings, Volume 3: 1935-1938, Belknap Press of Harvard University Press, 2006
-  Bernsen, J. Hans J. Wegner (Japanese Edition), Dansk Design Center, 1995
-  Clive, E. “The Dream of a Golden Age: Danish Neo-Classical Furniture 1790–1850,” Journal of Design History, 19(1), 2006, pp.93-95
-  Giedion, S. Mechanization takes Command, a contribution to anonymous history, Oxford University Press, 1948, p.370
-  Hida, T. Meiji no yushutsu kogei zuan: Kiryu Kosho Kaisha no rekishi [Meiji Period Design Sketches for Export Crafts: The History of the Kiritsu Kosho Kaisha], Kyoto Shoin, 1998
-  Jackson, A. “Imaging Japan,” The Journal of Design History, 5-4, 1992, pp.245-256
-  Shimazaki, M. Utsukushii Isu: Hokuou Yonin no Meisyo no Dezain, EI Publishing Co.Ltd., 2003
-  Suga, Y. “Modernism, Nationalism and Gender: Crafting ‘Modern’ Japonisme,” Journal of Design History, 21(3), Oxford University Press, 2008, pp.259-275
-  The Koriyama City Museum of Art, Christopher Dresser and Japan, Exhibition catalogue committee, 2002
-  Toyoguchi, K. And Shimazaki, M. Keijikobo to Sonokagu no Dezain Kenkyu, Musashino Art University, 1980.
-  Yamaguchi, E. Isu to Shintai: Yoroppaniokeru “Za” no Youshiki, Minerva shobo, 2006
ISHIKAWA, Yoshimune; "Eastern craft in Orientalism and Modern Design", p. 412-415 . In: Farias, Priscila Lena; Calvera, Anna; Braga, Marcos da Costa & Schincariol, Zuleica (Eds.). Design frontiers: territories, concepts, technologies [=ICDHS 2012 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies]. São Paulo: Blucher, 2012.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0692-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação