Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
DYNAMIC FRACTURE EFFECTS ON EARTHQUAKES
Yamagata, N and Marcal, PV, studied the dynamic effects on Fracture by separating the behavior into its modal components. Previous work had concluded that the dynamic effect may be neglected in comparison to the static effect. In the authors showed that by including the dynamic terms in the equivalent of a J-Integral Analysis, we obtain the surprising effect that the value of J is a constant for each mode and it is equal to the maximum J that can be calculated for that mode. In a sense this result supports the conclusion of. However its implication in design has very serious unconservative consequences for failure particularly for earthquake and other design for dynamic impact. The traditional method of designing is based on the Square Root of the sum of the squares. This assumes an orthogonal combination of the modes. Because of the constant value of J for each mode, we need to design on the basis of the sum of the modes. This is a much less conservative approach. In this paper, we give a case study of the dynamic effect on fracture by comparing the factors of safety for the current design procedures and the new procedure based on the results here.
Palavras-chave: J-Integral, Fracture Mechanics, Crack, Finite Element Method, Eigen Mode.,
-  Yamagata, N. and Marcal, P.V. “Structural Dynamic Analysis for Fracture”, Proc. USNCCM-9, Los Angeles, 2007
-  Irwin, G.R.,”Fracture Dynamics” Fracturing of Metals, American Society for Metals, Cleveland, 1948.
-  Griffith, A.A., Phil Trans. Royal Soc., 1921 , Vol 221 , 163-198
-  Rice, J.R. A path independent integral and the approximate analysis of strain concentration by notches and cracks. J. Appl. Mech. 35, 1968 : 379-386
-  B. Budiansky and J. R. Rice, "Conservation Laws and Energy-Release Rates", Journal of Applied Mechanics, 40, 1973, pp. 201-203
-  Weisbrod, G. and Rittel, D., “A method for dynamic fracture toughness determination using short beams”, Int Journal of Fracture, 2000, 104, 89-103
-  Wikipedia on Seismic Analysis, “Sample response example” , wikipedia,http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seismic_analysis
-  Dalguer, L. A. and Day, S. M., “Staggered-grid split-node method for spontaneous rupture simulation.” Jnl. Geophysical Res., Vol. 112, B02302, 2007
Yamagata, Nobuki; Marcal, Pedro V.; "DYNAMIC FRACTURE EFFECTS ON EARTHQUAKES", p. 2048-2053 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18665
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação