Fevereiro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Full Article - Open Access.
Design Promises: the case study of Bangchaocha Bamboo Basketry Community
This paper is a study on how design improves local craft products of the Bangchaocha community in order to compete in market arenas. Based on the conceptual framework of the model of culture proposed by Spencer-Oatey (1999), a series of design interventions were conducted to help designers and locals investigate and identify Bangchaocha community’s unique cultural identity. It is aimed to set up the environment and stimuli for local craftsmen to search for a totally new craft-breakthrough product. The local craftsmen, who teamed up with design students, were introduced to several hands-on design workshops that challenged and developed their creativity and artistic know-how. Another group of design students were paired up with the local children. The collaboration between these young imaginative minds and design students was intended to create an inspiring atmosphere for both participants. The design outcomes from the collaboration resulted in a series of new wicker products that not only express a strong cultural identity, but also created social participation and engagement among the community members. The design activities clearly strengthened the locals’ confidence in utilizing their own cultural identity in creating unique craft products that open up new ways of looking for inspiration. The project ultimately encouraged the entire crafts community to explore a whole other set of options of product categories and forms.
Palavras-chave: Cultural Identity, Design Intervening Craft Process, Co-Creation, Cultural Products,
-  Lisuwan, V. 2010. Thai Basketworks Dictionary: 6 Muang Boran Publishing, Thailand.
-  Nugraha, A. 2010. Searching a Tool for Sustaining Tradition: Indonesian Cases. In: FABRIZIO C.; CARLO V. And JUN Z. (Ed.) Conference Proceedings Volume 1: The LeNs Conference on Sustainability in Design: NOW!: 335-343. Green Leaf Publishing, UK.
-  Owen, N. G. 2010. The Emergence of Modern Southeast Asia: A New History Edited by Norman G. Owen (et al.). NUS Press, Singapore.
-  Poonpol, D. 200 Local Arts and Crafts and Production as Influenced by Cultural Ecology. Unpublished Monograph, Institute of Research and Development, Silpakorn University, Thailand.
-  Simandjuntak, J. 2010. The Crafts of Indonesia: The Implementation of Design in Wood Carving and Rattan Furniture Crafts. Seminar: Creativity and Self-Reliance Craft Development in Asia, 9th June 2010, Thailand.
-  Spencer-Oatey, H. (Ed.) 1999. Culturally Speaking: Managing Rapports Through Talk Across Cultures Edited by Helen Spencer-Oatey: 5. Continuum International Publishing, UK.
-  Williams, R. 2005. Culture and Materialism. Verso, UK.
BOONLAOR, Nanthana; CHUENRUDEEMOL, Woranooch; "Design Promises: the case study of Bangchaocha Bamboo Basketry Community", p. 115-120 . In: Farias, Priscila Lena; Calvera, Anna; Braga, Marcos da Costa & Schincariol, Zuleica (Eds.). Design frontiers: territories, concepts, technologies [=ICDHS 2012 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies]. São Paulo: Blucher, 2012.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0692-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação