dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Design Museums: Making Sense or Sensation of Design
Taking the premise that design museums are essentially institutions of knowledge this paper investigates how curatorial practice conveys the meaning and understanding of design. Design, being of a strong visual nature, is often set in scene with great theatrics, but not without consequences to the exhibition’s ability to make sense of design. With a case study of Triennale Design Museum in Milan the paper asks what happens to the conveyed meanings when the design exhibition it self is perceived as a design object.
Palavras-chave: curating design, Triennale Design Museum,
-  du Gay, P., Hall, S., Janes, L., Mackay, H. and Negus, K. (1997) Doing Cultural Studies: The story of the Sony Walkman London, California, New Dehli: Sage Publications
-  Gimeno-Martínez, J. and Verlinden, J. (2010) ‘From museum of decorative arts to design museum: The case of the Design museum Gent’, Design and Culture, vol. 2, no. 3,
-  pp. 259-28
-  Julier, G. (2008) The Culture of Design, 2nd edition, London: Sage
-  Long, K. (2013, Sept. 12) ‘Sinister objects demand attention just at much as beneficial ones’, Dezeen Magazine, Available: http://www.dezeen.com/2013/09/12/opinion-kieran-long-on-contemporary-museum-curation/ [19 Jan 2014]
-  Rawsthorn, A. (2010, Aug. 29) ‘An Italian Designer’s Homage to His Native Country’, The New York Times art section.
-  Triennale Design Museum (TDM) (2007) TDM1: La Sette Ossesione del Design Italiano The Seven Obsessions of Italian Design, Milano: Triennale Design Museum.
-  Triennale Design Museum (TDM) (2010) TDM3: Quali Cose Siamo The Things We Are. Milano: Triennale Design Museum.
-  Triennale Design Museum (TDM) (2013) TDM6: La Sindrome dell’Influenza The Syndrome of Influence. Milano: Triennale Design Museum.
Michaëlis, Sabina Maria; "Design Museums: Making Sense or Sensation of Design", p. 315-320 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0042
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação