Fevereiro 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Full Article - Open Access.
Antipodean Design Science: applied home
This paper examines the history of design education at the University of Otago, 1911-2011. Design in Home Science was pedagogically radical in New Zealand because it was part of an interdisciplinary applied sciences programme developed for women and centred on the domestic environment. This paper also explains the influence of Design Studies in contributing to a human-centred interdisciplinary applied science at the University of Otago by 2011.
Palavras-chave: Design history, education, applied sciences, design studies, home science,
-  Buchanan, R. 1992. Wicked problems in design thinking. Design Issues 8 (2): 5-2
-  Cross, N. 2001. Designerly ways of knowing: Design discipline versus design science’ Design Issues 17 (3): 49-55.
-  Harris, J. 1988. Bulletin of Home Science Alumnae.
-  Gregory, E. 1962. School of Home Science History 1911-1961. Dunedin: School of Home Science, University of Otago.
-  Hunt, C.L. 1912. The life of Ellen H. Richards. Boston: Whitcomb And Barrows.
-  Leavitt, S. 2002. From Catharine Beecher to Martha Stewart: A cultural history of domestic advice. Chapel Hill: University of North Carolina Press. MORRELL, W.P. 1969. The University of Otago: A centennial history. Dunedin: University of Otago Press. SCHON, D. A. 1995 Design as a Reflective Conversation with the Situation. In The reflective practitioner: How professionals think in action: 76-104. Aldershot, Hants: Arena.
-  Shapiro, L. 2002. Perfection salad: Women and cooking at the turn of the century. Berkeley and Los Angeles: University of California Press. SIMON, H. 1996. The Sciences of the Artificial. Cambridge, M.I.T. Press.
-  Strong, A.G. 1936. History of the development of university education in Home Science in New Zealand 1911-19 36. Dunedin: Coulls Somerville Wilkie. WAITE, N. 2005. The convivial culture of design research’ IADE da Imagem 3 (2): 90-96.
WAITE, Noel; "Antipodean Design Science: applied home", p. 37-40 . In: Farias, Priscila Lena; Calvera, Anna; Braga, Marcos da Costa & Schincariol, Zuleica (Eds.). Design frontiers: territories, concepts, technologies [=ICDHS 2012 - 8th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies]. São Paulo: Blucher, 2012.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, ISBN: 978-85-212-0692-7
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação