Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
AN EXTENED PHANTOM NODE METHOD FOR CRACK INTERACTIONS IN COMPOSITES
Failure of fibre-reinforced composite materials is usually preceded by the devel-opment of a network of cracks running through plies (matrix cracks) and between plies (de-lamination). Matrix cracks and delamination often interact with each other to form complex crack paths. A novel numerical method is developed to model all plies of the laminate by one element. Matrix cracks, delamination and matrix crack tips at the interface can all be explic-itly represented within such an element to achieve high accuracy modelling of the mechanism of interaction. A 2D element formulated based on this method has demonstrated good per-formance on the delamination/matrix crack interaction problem in a cross-ply composite laminate.
Palavras-chave: phantom node method, multiple cracks, matrix crack, delamination,
-  B. G. Green, M. R. Wisnom, and S. R. Hallett, “An experimental investigation into the tensile strength scaling of notched composites,” Composites Part A-Applied Science and Manufacturing, vol. 38, no. 3, pp. 867-878, 2007.
-  F. P. van der Meer, L. J. Sluys, S. R. Hallett et al., “Computational modeling of complex failure mechanisms in laminates,” Journal of Composite Materials, vol. 46, pp. 603-623, 2011.
-  X. J. Fang, Q. D. Yang, B. N. Cox et al., “An augmented cohesive zone element for arbitrary crack coalescence and bifurcation in heterogeneous materials,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 88, no. 9, pp. 841-861, 2011.
-  D. S. Ling, Q. D. Yang, and B. Cox, “An augmented finite element method for modeling arbitrary discontinuities in composite materials,” International Journal of Fracture, vol. 156, no. 1, pp. 53-73, 2009.
-  A. Hansbo, and P. Hansbo, “A finite element method for the simulation of strong and weak discontinuities in solid mechanics,” Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering, vol. 193, no. 33-35, pp. 3523-3540, 2004.
-  J.-H. Song, P. M. A. Areias, and T. Belytschko, “A method for dynamic crack and shear band propagation with phantom nodes,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, vol. 67, no. 6, pp. 868-893, 200
-  F. P. van der Meer, and L. J. Sluys, “A phantom node formulation with mixed mode cohesive law for splitting in laminates,” International Journal of Fracture, vol. 158, no. 2, pp. 107-124, 2009.
Chen, B.; Pinho, S. T.; Baiz, P. M.; Tay, T. E.; "AN EXTENED PHANTOM NODE METHOD FOR CRACK INTERACTIONS IN COMPOSITES", p. 3781-3792 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-19582
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação