Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
A VARIATIONAL MODEL FOR THE WRINKLING OF CARBON FIBRE COMPOSITES DURING CONSOLIDATION
A semi-analytical variational model for the formation of wrinkles following consolidation of a carbon fibre composites over an external radius is presented. Understanding how wrinkles form in the manufacturing of carbon fiber composites during the debulk and curing processes is important because, depending on their severity, they may compromise the structural integrity of the final part. A nonlinear elastic model is described, and energy minimization of the resulting potential energy is achieved using a gradient flow approach. The critical conditions for the appearance of wrinkles and the complex post-buckling behaviour are derived and their implications to the manufacturing processes are discussed.
Palavras-chave: wrinkling, buckling, debulk processes, gradient flow method, snaking.,
-  M. A. BIOT, Mechanics of Incremental Deformations, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1965.
-  C. J. BUDD, G. W. HUNT, AND M. A. PELETIER, Self-similar fold evolution under prescribed end-shortening, Journal of Mathematical Geology, 31 (1999), pp. 989–1005.
-  A. R. CHAMPNEYS AND J. F. TOLAND, Bifurcation of a plethora of multi-modal homoclinic orbits for autonomous hamiltonian systems, Nonlinearity, 6 (1993), pp. 665–721.
-  S. J. CHAPMAN AND G. KOZYREFF, Exponential asymptotics of localised patterns and snaking bifurcation diagrams, Physica D, 238:319-354 (2009), pp. 47–68.
-  J. H. P. DAWES, Localized pattern formation with a large-scale mode: slanted snaking, SIAM Journal on Applied Dynamical Systems (SIADS), 7 (2008), pp. 186–206.
-  T. J. DODWELL, Multilayered folding with constraints, PhD thesis, University of Bath, Bath UK, 2012.
-  T. J. DODWELL, M. A. PELETIER, C. J. BUDD, AND G. W. HUNT, Self-similar voiding solutions of a single layered model of folding rocks SIAM J. Appl. Math 72 (2012) pp. 444-463.
-  T. J. DODWELL, G.W. HUNT, M. A. PELETIER, AND C. J. BUDD, Multilayered folding with voids Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A. (2012) (In press).
-  T. J. DODWELL, AND G. W. HUNT, Convoluted accommodation structures in folded rocks Philos. Mag (2012) (In press).
-  G. W. HUNT, R. BUTLER, AND C. J. BUDD, Geometry and mechanics of layered structures and materials, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. A, (2012) (in press).
-  G. W. HUNT, H. M. BOLT, AND J. M. T. THOMPSON, Structural localisation phenomena and the dynamical phase-space analogy, Proc. R. Soc. Lond. A, 425 (1989), pp. 245–267.
-  G. W. HUNT, M. A. PELETIER, A. R. CHAMPNEYS, P. D. WOODS, M. A. WADEE, C. J. BUDD, AND G. J. LORD, Cellular buckling in long structures, Nonlinear Dyn., 21(1):2-29, 2000.
-  M. A. PELETIER, Sequential buckling: a variational analysis, Siam J. Math. Anal., 32 (2001), pp. 1142–1168.
-  A. K. PICKETT, T. QUECKBORNER, P. DE LUCA, AND E. HAUG, An explicit finite element solution for the forming prediction of continuous fibre-reinforced thermoplastic sheets, Composites Manufacturing 6 (1995) pp.237-243.
-  N. J. PRICE AND J. W. COSGROVE, Analysis of Geological Structures, Cambridge University Press, 1990.
-  J. W. T. THOMPSON AND G. W. HUNT, A general theory of elastic stability, Wiley, London, 1973
-  L. F. SHAMPINE AND M. W. REICHELT, The MATLAB ODE Suite, SIAM Journal on Scientic Computing, 18 (1997),pp. 1-22.
-  R. WAIT AND A. R. MITCHELL, Finite Element Analysis and Applications Wiley Andamp; Sons, Chichester 1985
-  M. R. WISNOM, M. GIGLIOTTI, N. ERSOY, M. CAMPBELL, AND K.D. POTTER, Mechanisms generating residual stresses and distortion during manufacture of polymermatrix composite structures, Composites A 37 (2005) pp. 522-529.
-  W. B. YOUNG, Consolidation and cure simulations for laminated composites, Polymer Composites 17 (1996) pp.142-148.
Dodwell, T. J.; Butler, R.; Hunt., G. W.; "A VARIATIONAL MODEL FOR THE WRINKLING OF CARBON FIBRE COMPOSITES DURING CONSOLIDATION", p. 886-898 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-18162
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação