Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
A FINITE ELEMENT FOR ACTIVE COMPOSITE PLATES WITH PIEZOELEC-TRIC LAYERS AND EXPERIMENTAL VALIDATION
The study of smart materials for uses in the aerospace, aeronautics and petroleum industries has increased due to the potential of such materials for several applications such as structure health monitoring, damage identification, vibration control and/or suppression, energy harvesting, along with others. In particular, piezoelectric smart composite laminates – laminates made of fiber reinforced polymers in which some or all of the layers contain pie-zoelectric fibers – are widely studied for being able to serve as both actuators and sensors in the cited applications and having mechanical properties with the capacity to attend the high requirement of the mentioned areas. One of the main obstacles to the practical application of this technology is the difficulty in the prediction and simulation of the behavior of such struc-tures. In this work, a model for structural composite laminates containing active piezoelectric layers is presented and used to formulate a degenerated shell quadratic finite element with eight nodes. The element was implemented into a Python routine and numerical results were compared to the finite element commercial package Abaqus Experimental results of an alu-minum plate with piezoelectric patches attached are presented as well. The numerical results, using the formulation implemented by the element, were compared to the experimental ana-lyses and to a full-scale model in which the full laminate, including the fibers, was modeled using Abaqus’ solid elements, both structural and piezoelectric.
Palavras-chave: finite elements, piezoelectric composites, active structure,
-  Ahmad S., Irons B. M., Zienkiewicz O. C., “Analysis of thick and thin shell structures by curved finite elements”. Int. J. Numer. Methods Eng., 2, 419-451, 1970.
-  Bathe, K., “Finite Element Procedures”, Prentice Hall, 1996.
-  De Marqui Jr., C. J.; Erturk, A.; Inman, D. J.; “An electromechanical finite element model for piezoelectric energy harvester plates”, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 327, 2009.
-  Ikeda, T., “Fundamentals of Piezoelectricity”, Oxford UniversityPress Inc., 1996.
-  Marinkovic, D., Köppe H., and Gabbert, U, “Numerically Efficient Finite Ele-ment Formulation for Modeling Active Composite Laminates”. Mechanics of Advanced Ma-terials and Structures, 13, 379-392, 2006.
-  Marinkovic, D., Köppe H., Gabbert, U, “Accurate Modeling of the Electric Field within Piezoelectric Layers for Active Composite Structures”. Journal for Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 18, 503-514, 2007.
-  Medeiros, R., “Desenvolvimento de uma Metodologia Computacional para Determinar Coeficientes Efetivos de Compósitos Inteligentes”, (Masters Thesis), Escola de Engenharia de São Carlos, Universidade de São Paulo, 2012.
-  Medeiros, R.; Moreno, M. E.; Tita, V., “Electromechanical response of 1-5 pie-zoeletric fiber composites: a unit cell approach for numerical evaluation of effective properties.”, In: VI National Congress of Mechanical Engineering – CONEM 2010, 2010.
-  Ochoa, O.O. and Reddy, “Finite Element Analysis of Composite Laminates”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, Boston, London.
-  Paik, S. H.; Yoon, T. H.; Shin, S. J.; Kim, S. J, “Computational material characteriza-tion of active fiber composite”. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures, 18, 19-28, 2007.
-  Piefort, V, “Finite element modelling of piezoelectric active structures”. (PhD. Thesis) - Faculty of Applied Sciences, Université Libre de Bruxelles, 2009.
-  Tzou, H.S., “Piezoelectric Shells”, Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1993.
-  Zienkiewicz, O. C., Taylor, R. L. “The Finite Element Method”, Butterworth Heine-mann, 2000.
Sartorato, M.; Medeiros, R. de; Tita, V.; "A FINITE ELEMENT FOR ACTIVE COMPOSITE PLATES WITH PIEZOELEC-TRIC LAYERS AND EXPERIMENTAL VALIDATION", p. 2867-2883 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-19051
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação