Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Visualization of technological utopianism by corporate advertising campaigns in the 1980s: South Korea LG’s ‘technopia’ and Samsung’s ‘humantech’
This study focuses on technological utopianism which was created by major corporations through their advertisement campaign designs in mid to late 1980s in South Korea. In this study, we analyse the contents in printed advertisements and TV commercials of LG’s ‘Technopia’ in 1985 and Samsung’s ‘Humantech’ in 1986. In the mid to late 1980s, South Korea was full of hope because the domestic economy improved rapidly, and the social environment was filled with expectations of globalization. LG and Samsung both focused on development of technology and wanted to visualize some kind of ‘utopia’, which was created by them through their ads. As the two rival companies had similar campaign purposes, the designs of their campaigns looked very much alike. The campaigns emphasized a meeting between technology and humans, wanted to be a hero who helps weaker and smaller humans, and expressed unrealistic depiction with computer graphics.
Palavras-chave: Technological utopianism, corporate advertising campaign design, Korean corporation, technology visualization,
-  Design (1986) Seoul: Monthly Design.
-  Jeffrey D. Sachs. and John W. McArthur. (2002) ‘Technological advancement and long-term economic growth in Asia’, in Chong-En Bai. and Chi-Wa Yuen. (ed.) Technology and the New Economy, Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
-  Karla Saari Kitalong. (2000) ‘“You Will” Technology, Magic, and the Cultural Contexts of Technical Communication’, Journal of Business and Technical Communication, vol. 14, no. 3, July, pp. 289-314.
-  Korea economy six decades compilation committee. (ed.) (2011) Korea economy six decades of growth and development, Seoul: Korea economy six decades compilation committee.
-  Naver News Library. http://newslibrary.naver.com
-  Segal, Howard P. (1985) Technological utopianism in American culture, Chicago : London : University of Chicago Press.
-  Woo Hee, Park. and Yong Ho, Bae. (1996) Korea’s Development of technology, Seoul: Gyungmoonsa.
-  Yong Woo, Kim. and Bum Gyu, Lee. (2005) Advertising design, Seoul: Goryeomdeicine.
LEE, Su-Ji; "Visualization of technological utopianism by corporate advertising campaigns in the 1980s: South Korea LG’s ‘technopia’ and Samsung’s ‘humantech’", p. 45-49 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-01_009
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação