Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Total design of participation: Ideas of collective creativity by Tim Brown, László Moholy-Nagy and Walter Gropius
The idea of design as an art made not only for the people, but also by the people is an old dream going back at least to William Morris. It is, however, reappearing vigorously in many kinds of design activism and grows out of the visions of a Total Design of society. The ideas of participation by Tim Brown can be compared to considerations by László Moholy-Nagy and Walter Gropuis on the training and education of active and capable citizens. This opens, though, some dilemmas to discuss: To what extend is the capability of creativity then a (pre)condition to be a citizen of the society wished for? To which degree should everyone be educated in ’design literacy’ to participate? Total design of participation is an artistic interven-tion in society and must be discussed in this utopian tradition.
Palavras-chave: Participation, Total Design, Design Thinking, Bauhaus, Gesamtkunstwerk,
-  Brown, T. (2009) Change by Design, New York: Harper Collins.
-  Chytry, J. (1989) The Aesthetic State, Berkeley & Los Angeles: University of California Press
-  Forgács, E. (1997) The Bauhaus Idea and Bauhaus Politics, Budapest: Central European University Press.
-  Gropius, W. (1955) Scope of Total Architecture, New York: Harper & Brothers Publishers
-  Julier, G. & Leerberg, M. (2014) ’Kolding – We design for life’, Finnish Journal of Urban Studies 52/2, 39-56.
-  Koss, J. (2010) Modernism after Wagner, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
-  Margolin, V. (1997) The Struggle for Utopia, Chicago: Chicago University Press.
-  Mau, B. (2004) Massive Change, London: Phaidon.
-  Moholy-Nagy, L. (1969) Vision in Motion , Chicago: Paul Theobald
-  Morris, W. (1902) Hopes and Fears for Art , London: Longmans, Green & Co.
-  Munch, A.V. (2012a) Fra Bayreuth til Bauhaus, Aarhus: University of Aarhus Press; summary: http://en.unipress.dk/media/3102680/summary.pdf.
-  Munch, A.V. (2012b) Design as Gesamtkunstwerk, Humlebæk: Rhodos International Science and Art Publishers
-  Probst, H. & Schädlich, C. (1988) Walter Gropius Vol. 3 Ausgewählte Schriften, Berlin: Ernst & Sohn.
-  Wigley, M. (1998) ‘Whatever Happened to Total Design?’, Harvard Design Magazine, 1998/5; http://www.harvarddesignmagazine.org/issues/5/whatever-happened-to-total-design
MUNCH, Anders V; "Total design of participation: Ideas of collective creativity by Tim Brown, László Moholy-Nagy and Walter Gropius", p. 308-312 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-04_001
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação