Agosto 2019 vol. 6 num. 1 - IV Encontro Nacional de Economia Industrial e Inovação
Artigo completo - Open Access.
The use of quantitative methods to analyze anticompetitive effects of mergers and acquisitions in antitrust: the Brazilian experience
The paper aims to discuss the use of quantitative methods in quantifying merger effects as evidence, taking the particularities of the Brazilian experience and considering both technical, institutional and policy issues. Therefore, the paper investigates evolution and patterns in the Brazilian institutional framework and jurisprudence in terms of technical aspects and adequacy of implementation, policy issues regarding the acceptance within the administrative tribunal and the main challenges imposed. The information collected considered all the merger cases, as far as we know, in which quantitative methods were applied by CADE in order to measure, estimate or imply the merger’s potential anticompetitive effect on prices. Among the conclusions we find that the models are employed in few complex cases and mostly to sustain some restriction by the authority and the authority seems concerned about sensibility analysis, in some cases revealed by the combination of the use of different methods and/or competitive models.
Palavras-chave: Competition Policy, merger effects, quantitative methods, CADE,
-  Ashenfelter, O. Ashmore, D., Baker, J. Gleason, S. Empirical Methods in Merger Analysis: Econometric Analysis of Pricing in FTC v. Staples. International Journal of the Economics of Business , Vol 13, 2006.
-  Blair, R. D., & Herndon, J. B. The Implications of Daubert of Economic Evidence in Antitrust Cases. Wash. & Lee L. Rev. 2000
-  Budzinski, O., & Ruhmer, I. (2008). Merger simulation in Competition Policy: a survey. SSRN.
-  Boyer, M., Ross, T. W., & Winter, R. A. The rise of economics in competition policy: A Canadian perspective. Canadian Journal of Economics/Revue canadienne d'économique, 50(5), 1489-152 2017
-  Carlton, D. W. The relevance for Antitrust Policy of theoretical and empirical advances in industrial organization. Geo. Manson L. Rev., Vol. 12. 2003
-  Coate, M. B. The use of natural experiments in merger analysis. Journal of Antitrust Enforcement. 1 (2). 2013
-  Crooke, P., Froeb, L., Tschantz, S., & Werden, G. J. Effects of Assumed Demand Form on Simulated Postmerger Equilibria. Review of Industrial Organization (15), 205-21 1999
-  Epstein & Rubinfeld. Understanding the UPP. The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics: Policies and Perspectives, 10 (1), article 21. 2010
-  Farrell & Shapiro. Horizontal mergers: an equilibrium analysis. The American Economic Review. 80 (1). 1990
-  Farrell & Shapiro. Upward Pricing Pressure in Horizontal Merger Analysis: Reply to Epstein and Rubinfeld. The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics: Policies and Perspectives, 10 (1), article 41. 2010
-  Gavil, Andrew. Defining Reliable Forensic Economics in the Post-Daubert/ Kumho Tire Era: Case Studies from Antitrust. Wash & Lee. Law Review 57 (3). 2000
-  Gavil, A. I. The challenges of economic proof in a decentralized and privatized European competition policy: lessons from the American experience. Journal of Competition Law and Economics, 4(1). 2007
-  Gavil, A. I., Kovacic, W. E., & Baker, J. B. Antitrust Law in Perspective: cases, concepts and problems in competition policy. St. Paul: Thomson/West. 2008
-  Gutiérrez, J. D. Expert Testimony, Economic Evidence and Assimetry of Information in Antitrust Cases. CEDEC Competition Law & Economics Working Papers. 2007
-  Katsoulacos, Y., Avdasheva, S., & Golovanova, S. Legal standards and the role of economics in Competition Law enforcement. European Competition Journal, 12(2-3), 277-297. 2016,
-  Katsoulacos, Y., Avdasheva, S., & Golovanova, S. A Methodology for Empirically Measuring the Extent of Economic Analysis and Evidence and for Identifying the Legal Standards in Competition Law Enforcement. In: Charbit, N., Ahmad, S. (eds): Frédéric Jenny Liber Amicorum: Standing Up for Convergence and Relevance in Antitrust. 2019
-  Lianos, I. & Genakos, C. Econometric evidence in EU competition law: an empirical and theoretical analysis. CLES Working Papers. 2012.
-  Lopatka, J. E., & Page, W. H. Economic Authority and the Limits of Expertise in Antitrust Cases. Mimeo. 2004
-  Mackie-Mason, J. K., & Pfau, R. A. Inducements to Advocacy: The Economist as Independent Expert. Mimeo. November, 1998
-  Mandel, M. J. Going for the Gold: Economists as Expert Witnesses. The Journal of Economic Perspectives, 13 (2), pp. 113-1 1999
-  Moresi, Reitman, Salop & Sarafidis. Gauging Parallel Accommodating Conduct Concerns with the CPPI. 2011
-  Pioner, H. M., & Canêdo-Pinheiro, M. Margens de erro e eficiências em fusões. In E. P. Fiúza, & R. S. Motta, Métodos quantitativos em defesa da concorrência e regulação econômica. Rio de Janeiro: IPEA. 2006
-  Pires-Alves, C. C. Métodos Quantitativos na Avaliação dos Efeitos de Fusões e Aquisições: uma análise econômica e jurídico-institucional. Tese de Doutorado. IE/UFRJ. 2010.
-  Pires-Alves, C. C. Evidências Econômicas e Política Antitruste: desafios impostos e saídas institucionais. Economic Analysis of Law Review, v. 9, n. 1 (2018).
-  Posner, R. A. The Law and Economics of the Economic Expert Witness. The Journal of Economic Perspectives, 13 (2), pp. 91-99. 1999
-  Salop & Moresi. Updating the Merger Guidelines: Comments. Georgetown Law Journal. Available at SRN: hhtps://ssrn.com/abstract-2756487, 2009.
-  Shapiro, K & Farell, J. Antitrust Evaluation of Horizontal Mergers: An Economic Alternative to Market Definition. The B.E. Journal of Theoretical Economics. 10 (1), 2010.
-  Thornton, R., & Ward, J. The economist in tort litigation. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 13(2), 101-112. 1999
-  Walker, M. Merger Simulation models: useful or just dangerous? (mimeo). 2005
-  Weiskopf, D. A. Merger Simulation. Antitrust Magazine, 57-60. 2003
-  Werden, G. J. Simulating the Effects of Differentiated Products Mergers: A Practitioners' Guide. In J. A. Calswell, & R. W. Cotterill, Strategy and Policy in the Food System: Emerging Issues. 1997
-  Werden, G. J. The Admissibility of Expert Economic Testimony in Antitrust Cases. (mimeo), 2007.
-  Werden & Froeb. The effects of mergers in differentiated products industries: Logit demand and merger policy. The Journal of Law. Economics & Organization. 10 (2).1994
-  Werden & Froeb. Unilateral competitive effects of horizontal mergers. Forthcoming in Paolo Buccirossi. Ed. Handbook of Antitrust Economics. 2006
-  Werden, Froeb, Scheffman. A Daubert Discipline for Merger Simulation. Mimeo. 2004
Pires-Alves, Camila C.; Lyra, Marcos Puccioni de Oliveira; Bonfatti, Marina Maria Gutierrez; "The use of quantitative methods to analyze anticompetitive effects of mergers and acquisitions in antitrust: the Brazilian experience", p. 1197-1215 . In: Anais do IV Encontro Nacional de Economia Industrial e Inovação.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2357-7592, DOI 10.5151/iv-enei-2019-6.4-077
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação