Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
The journey from self-exploration to self-identity: The evolution of contemporary Taiwanese graphic design
To understand contemporary Taiwanese history of graphic design, one may want to learn the development of Taiwan politics first. This article will demonstrate how Taiwanese graphic design is influenced by political trends. However, when politics intervenes in graphic design, the creating process would be restrained since designers will need more thoughts before applying texts and images. The evolution of Taiwanese graphic design is the best testimony of the argument, by crossing the post-colonial period, the crisis of national- and ethnics-identity in 1971, and the social conflict after the end of Martial Law in1987. Graphic design works with Taiwanese consciousness may have less commercial sense, but describe the subjectivity value of the society with more accuracy. The works contain the essential elements that make graphic design step from localization to internalization which are the main streams in the history of Taiwanese contemporary design.
Palavras-chave: Graphic design, subjectivity, martial law, Tai-Ke culture,
-  Chen, Li-Min. (2008) The Praxis of Social Context in Taiwanese Graphic Design from 1953-2000, Taipei: Song-Gerg.
-  Lin, Pin-chang. (2003) The Transition of Visual Communication Design in Taiwan from 1895-1990, Taipei: Quan Hau Technology.
-  Meggs, Philips B. (1999.) A History of Graphic Design. 4th Ed, New Jersey:John Wiiley &Son,Inc.
-  Mizoeff , N. (1999.) What Is Visual Culture?, London: Routeledge.
-  Wong, Wendy S. (2001) “Detachment and Unification: A Chinese Graphic Design History in Greater China Since 1979,” Design Issues, pp. 51-71.
-  Walker, John A. and Chaplin, Sarah. (1997) Manchester University Press, Visual Culture : An introduc-tion.
-  Walker, John A. (1990) Design History and the History of Design, London: Pluto Press.
CHEN, Li-Min; "The journey from self-exploration to self-identity: The evolution of contemporary Taiwanese graphic design", p. 56-60 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-02_001
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação