Agosto 2019 vol. 6 num. 1 - IV Encontro Nacional de Economia Industrial e Inovação
Artigo completo - Open Access.
TECHNOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION TOWARDS CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION
This paper aims to present and analyze the production of green technological knowledge for the mitigation of climate change from countries and companies “carbon majors”. These countries and corporations can be identified as the largest emitters of GHG accumulated since the pre-industrial period. In turn, the “carbon majors” have historically appropriated extraordinary wealth by depleting a global resource common to all countries (global carbon budget) while generating national development. Thus, we seek to analyze a patent study to map the production of technological knowledge of selected countries and corporations that are associated with climate change mitigation and environmental management in the period 1980-2018. As a result, it has been found that technologies can be classified according to how actors position themselves in the climate change debate. Thus, the results offer evidence to both arguments that Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) technologies may reinforce current carbon lock-in and those corporate strategies to develop such technologies focus business opportunities in a future of global mean temperatures increases exceeding 2 degrees Celsius.
Palavras-chave: Eco-innovation, patent analysis, carbon capture and storage, carbon majors, carbon budget,
-  Balassa, B. (1961). Towards a theory of economic integration. Kyklos, 14(1), 1-17.
-  Bulkeley, H., Andonova, L., Bäckstrand, K., Betsill, M., Compagnon, D., Duffy, R., ... & Milledge, T. (2012). Governing climate change transnationally: assessing the evidence from a database of sixty initiatives. Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy, 30(4), 591-61
-  Dechezleprêtre, Antoine, Glachant, Matthieu, Hascic, Ivan, Johnstone, Nick and Yann Ménière (2009), ― Invention and Transfer of Climate Change Mitigation Technologies on a Global Scale: A Study Drawing on Patent Data.
-  FREEMAN, C. (1987). Technology policy and economic performance: lessons from Japan. London: Pinter.
-  Gonçalves, E. (2015). Technological competence in Brazilian multinational firms: the case of WEG. Revista Brasileira de Economia de Empresas, 14(2).
-  Hascic, I., & Johnstone, N. (2009). The Kyoto Protocol and international technology transfer: an empirical analysis using patent data. In EAERE Conference, June (pp. 25-27).
-  Haščič, I. & M. Migotto (2015), “Measuring environmental innovation using patent data”, OECD Environment Working Papers, No. 89, OECD Publishing, Paris.
-  Heede, R. (2014). Tracing anthropogenic carbon dioxide and methane emissions to fossil fuel and cement producers, 1854–2010. Climatic Change, 122(1-2), 229-241.
-  IPCC, 2005: IPCC Special Report on Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage. Prepared by Working Group III of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Metz, B., O. Davidson, H. C. de Coninck, M. Loos, and L. A. Meyer (eds.)]. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA, 442 pp.
-  IPCC, 2014: Climate Change 2014: Synthesis Report. Contribution of Working Groups I, II and III to the Fifth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change [Core Writing Team, R.K. Pachauri and L.A. Meyer (eds.)]. IPCC, Geneva, Switzerland, 151p.
-  Nesta, L., & Patel, P. (2005). National patterns of technology accumulation: use of patent statistics. In Handbook of Quantitative Science and Technology Research (pp. 531-551).Springer, Dordrecht.
-  Patel, P., & Pavitt, K. (1997). The technological competencies of the world's largest firms: complex and path-dependent, but not much variety. Research policy, 26(2), 141-156.
-  Unruh, G. C., & Carrillo-Hermosilla, J. (2006). Globalizing carbon lock-in. Energy Policy, 34(10), 1185-1197.
-  Vormedal, I. (2008). The influence of business and industry NGOs in the negotiation of the Kyoto mechanisms: the case of carbon capture and storage in the CDM. Global Environmental Politics, 8(4), 36-65.
Gomes, Guilherme Nascimento; Corazza, Rosana Icassatti; "TECHNOLOGICAL KNOWLEDGE PRODUCTION TOWARDS CLIMATE CHANGE MITIGATION", p. 719-737 . In: Anais do IV Encontro Nacional de Economia Industrial e Inovação.
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2357-7592, DOI 10.5151/iv-enei-2019-5.3-072
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação