Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Studio on Beauty: A new Methodology for Digital Design Research
In this paper we present a studio framework that connects Ruskin’s conception of beauty and digital design tools. We define eight different aspects of beauty that are studied via natural and artificial patterns. These studies developed by students are later applied to a site and program in the second half of the studio. Some of the works of the students are presented while narrating the overall pedagogical process. The aim of the paper is to present a unique approach that combines theory on beauty with digital tools in order to re-define design research as an open-ended and dynamic practice.
Palavras-chave: Beauty, Digital design pedagogy, Ruskin,
-  Ball, P. (1999). The Self-Made Tapestry: Pattern formation in nature, Oxford University Press, Oxford (England).
-  Giddings, B., Horne, M. (2008). The changing patterns of architectural design education in the UK, In: First International Conference on Critical Digital: What matter(s)?, 18 - 19 April 2008, Havard University Graduate School of Design, Cambridge, MA ,USA.
-  Gokmen, S. (2012). The Ornaments of Shoowa Kuba: A digital re- interpretation of a textile art, SIGraDi 2012 [Proceedings of the 16th Iberoamerican Congress of Digital Graphics] Brasil – Fortaleza 13- 16 November 2012, pp.79-8
-  Oxman, R. (2006). Theory and design in the first digital age,” Design studies. 27, no. 3, 229-265.
-  Reffat, R., (2007). Revitalizing architectural design studio teaching using ICT: Reflections on practical implementations,” International Journal of Education and Development using Information and Communication Technology (IJEDICT), Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 39-53.
-  Ruskin, J. (1892). The Nature of Gothic: A Chapter of The Stones of Venice. Printed at the Kelmscott Press, Hammersmith, and published by George Allen, London, 1892.
-  Spuybroek, L. (2004). Nox: Machining architecture, New York, N.Y. ,Thames Andamp; Hudson.
-  Spuybroek, L. (2009). ResearchAndamp; Design: the architecture of variation, New York : Thames Andamp; Hudson.
-  Spuybroek, L. (2011). ResearchAndamp; Design: textile tectonics, Rotterdam : NAi Publishers.
-  Spuybroek, L. (2011). The Sympathy of Things: Ruskin and the Ecology of Design, Rotterdam: V2 Publishing.
-  Terzidis, K. (2007). Digital Design: Ideological Gap or Paradigm Shift?, SIGraDi 2007 - [Proceedings of the 11th Iberoamerican Congress of Digital Graphics] Mexico D.F. - Mexico 23-25 October 2007, pp. 220- 224.
Gokmen, Sabri; "Studio on Beauty: A new Methodology for Digital Design Research", p. 505-509 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0097
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação