Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Strange encounters: A series of posters investigating the hybrid embodiment of Indo-Canadian identity
Postmodernism has been important in acknowledging many forms of “otherness” that emerge from differences in subjectivity, gender, race, class, temporal, spatial geographic location and dislocation. This has become a topic of interest among graphic designers as they explore design’s relationship with culture. This project, a series of creatures called The Avatars explore the use of graphic design to produce visual artifacts that discuss hybrid embodiment of Indo-Canadian identity. Using hybridity, Homi Bhabha’s concept of a “third space” identifies a metaphor for the space in which cultures meet. Where communication, negotiation, and translation bridge societies, a new space emerges.
Palavras-chave: Graphic design, cultural hybridity, Culture, identity, third space,
-  (1990). The Third Space: Interview with Homi Bhabha. In J. Rutherford (Ed.), Identity: Community, Culture, Difference. London: Lawrence & Wishart.
-  Ahmed, S. (2000). Stranger Encounters: Embodied Others in Post-Coloniality. London: Routledge.
-  Bhabha, H. (2006). Cultural Diversity and Cultural Differences. In B. Ashcroft, G. Griffiths & H. Tiffin (Eds.), The Post Colonial Studies Reader. New York: Routledge.
-  Eck, D. L. (1998). Darsan: Seeing the Divine in India. Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass.
-  Hoptman, L. (2007). Collage: The UnMonumental Picture. London: Merrel.
-  Kukkonen, K. (2013). Space, Time and Causality in Graphic Narratives: An Embodied Approach. In D. Stein & J. Thon (Eds.), Narratologia: From Comic Strips to Graphic Novels: Contributions to the Theory and History of Graphic Narrative. Berlin: De Gruyter.
-  Preston, J. (1985). Creation of the Sacred Image: Apotheosis and Destruction in Hinduism. In J. P. Waghorne, N. Cutler & V. Narayan (Eds.), Gods of Stone: The Embodiment of Divinity in India. New York: Columbia University Press.
BALAKRISHNAN, Krishna; "Strange encounters: A series of posters investigating the hybrid embodiment of Indo-Canadian identity", p. 179-181 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-02_022
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação