Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Reviving Taiwan’s craft bamboo industry: Evaluating recent strategies to transform a heritage craft sector into a contemporary cultural industry
Policy-makers increasingly see cultural industries as important economic contributors with the added scope to sustain local identity. Since 1991, Taiwan’s Ministries of Culture and Educa-tion have sought to revive Taiwan’s bamboo crafts, including for their cultural heritage value, in the face of damaging competition from cheap imports. Various policies and programs have sought to give new strength and vitality to Taiwanese cultural production. Despite some noteworthy individual products, such efforts typically neglect the root causes for the decline of Taiwan’s bamboo industries. Research suggests that successful cultural industries need a critical mass of creative innovators, entrepreneurs and skilled workers and advanced manu-facturing capability. The paper discusses industry development strategies to date, arguing that the main hurdle to the revitalization of Taiwan’s bamboo industries is a lack of an innova-tion culture in manufacturing companies to drive new product development compounded by design graduates’ limited exposure to bamboo as a material.
Palavras-chave: Bamboo products, cultural industries, design policy and innovation, design curriculum,
-  Banks, M. & Connor, J. (2009) 'After the Creative Industries'. International Journal of Cultural Policy, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 365-373.
-  Bolton, S. (2009) 'The Value of Design-led Innovation in Chinese SMEs'. In Proceedings of the 19th CIRP Design Conference-Competitive Design. Cranfield University, 30-31 March, pp. 369.
-  Brandellero, A. M. C. & Kloosterman, R. C. (2010) 'Keeping the market at bay: Exploring the loci of innovation in the cultural industries'. Creative Industries Journal, vol. 3, no. 1 & 2, pp. 61-77.
-  Cheng, H.-L. & Won, H.-J. (2010) 'The Strategies of Local Industrial’s Structure Transformation and Space Renovation [地方產業轉型再生與空間再造策略之研究_以南投縣青竹竹文化園區為例]'. Archi-tectural Society.
-  Chrisman, J. J. & Patel, P. C. (2012) 'Variations in R&D investments of family and non-family firms: Behavioral agency and myopic loss aversion perspectives'. Academy of Management Journal, vol. 55, no. 4, pp. 976-997.
-  Cunningham, S. (2006) 'What Price a Creative Economy'. Platform Papers, no. 9, July, pp. 1-50.
-  Currid, E. & Connolly, J. (2008) 'Patterns of knowledge: the geography of advanced services and the case of art and culture'. Annals of the Association of American Geographers, vol. 98, no. 2, pp. 414–434.
-  Djelic, M-L. & Ainamo, A. (1999) ‘The Coevolution of New Organizational Forms in the Fashion In-dustry: A Historical and Comparative Study of France, Italy, and the United States’. Organization Sci-ence, vol. 10, no. 5, pp. 622-637.
-  De Waal, E. (2002) Altogether elsewhere: The figuring of ethnicity, London, A & C Black. Depart-ment For Culture Media Sport (1998) Creative industries mapping document. London, Department for Culture Media Sport.
-  Dorst, C. H. (1997) Describing design, a comparison of paradigms. Doctoral Thesis, Delft University of Technology.
-  Florida, R. (2002) 'The economic geography of talent'. Annals of the Association of American Geogra-phers, vol. 92, no. 4, pp. 743–755.
-  Hareven, T. (2003) The silk weavers of Kyoto: family and work in a changing traditional industry. Oak-land, University of California Press.
-  Huang, S.-H., Lin, X.-F., Wang, G.-Y. & Chen, T. (1998) 'The Zhushan County bamboo craft a teach-ing centre of born and influence [竹山郡竹材工藝傳習所的誕生與影響]'. Japan and South Asia set Meter Symposium, pp. 897-902.
-  Jan, B. (2003) 'Modelling Product Innovation Processes, from Linear Logic to Circular Chaos'. Cre-ativity & Innovation Management, vol. 12, no. 2, pp. 76-93.
-  Karppinen, S. (2008) 'Craft-Art as a Basis for Human Activity'. International Journal of Art & Design Ed-ucation, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 83-90.
-  Kong, L. (2014) 'From cultural industries to creative industries and back? Towards clarifying theory and rethinking policy'. Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 593-607.
-  Magnus, G. & Siri, A. (2015) 'Is innovation a useful concept for arts and humanities research'. Arts & Humanities in Higher Education, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 9–24.
-  Mommaas, H. (2009) 'Spaces of Culture and Economy: Mapping the Cultural-Creative Cluster Land-scape'. In: LILY, K. & JUSTIN, O. C. (eds.) In Creative Economies, Creative Cities: Asian- European Perspective. Dordrecht, Springer.
-  Murray, K. (2010) 'Outsourcing the hand: An analysis of craft-design collaborations across the global divide'. Craft & Design Enquiry, vol. 2, pp. 1-24.
-  National Zhushan Senior High School. (2016) 'History Memorabilia [沿革大事記]' [Online]. http://www.cshs.ntct.edu.tw/.
-  O’Connor, J. (2011) 'The Cultural and Creative Industries: A Critical History'. Ekonomiaz, vol. 78, no. 3, pp. 24-47.
-  PINE II, B. J. & GILMORE, J. H. 1998. ‘Welcome to the experience economy’. Health Forum Journal, vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 7-10.
-  Pratt, A. C. (2007) 'An economic geography of the cultural industries'. LSE Research online. London, London School of Economics.
-  Pratt, A. C. & Jeffcutt, P. (2009) Creativity, Innovation and the Cultural Economy, London, Routledge.
-  Reimer, S., Pinch, S. & Sunley, P. (2008). 'Design spaces: agglomeration and creativity in British design agencies'. Geografiska Annaler: Series B, Human Geography, vol. 90, no. 2, pp. 151– 172.
-  Roberto, V. (2008) 'Design, Meanings, and Radical Innovation- A Metamodel and a Research Agenda'. Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 25, no. 5, pp. 436–456.
-  Sciascia, S., Nordqvist, M., Mazzola, P. & De Massis, A. (2015) 'Family Ownership and R&D Intensity in Small- and Medium-Sized Firms'. Journal of Product Innovation Management, vol. 32, no. 3, pp. 349–360.
-  Scott, A. J. (2006) 'Creative cities: conceptual issues and policy questions'. Journal of Urban Affairs, vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 1–17.
-  Shah, S. (2000) 'Sources and Patterns of Innovation in a Consumer Products Field- Innovations in Sporting Equipment'. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, paper. 4105, March, pp. 1-27.
-  Sheridan, G. (1999), Western Dreams: Understanding the New Asia. Sydney, Allen & Unwin.
-  Shultz, B. (2013) 'The Work Behind the Scenes: The New Intermediaries of the Indie Crafts Busi-ness'. Regional Studies, vol. 49, no. 3, pp. 451-460.
-  Taiwan Culture Ministry. (2010) 'Law for the Development of the Cultural and Creative Industries'.
-  Taiwan Design Center. (2015) '43 Chairs, cross-border breakthrough of technology and crafts [43 椅 科 技與工藝的跨界突破]' [Online]. http://www.tdc.org.tw/news_detail82.htm.
-  Taiwan Labour Ministry. (2014) Plan Execution Website [Online]. 勞動部勞動力發展署技能檢定中心. Available: http://www.labor.gov.tw/home.jsp?pageno=201110210004.
-  Tang, C., Shang, J., Naumann, S. E. & Von Zedtwitz, M. (2014) 'How Team Identification and Exper-tise Identification Affect R&D Employees Creativity'. Creativity & Innovation Management, vol. 23, no. 3, pp. 276-289.
-  Valkenburg, A. C. (2000) 'The Reflective Practice in product design teams'. Doctoral Thesis, Delft Uni-versity of Technology.
-  Wong, X. D., Chen, T. S., Huang, S. H., Lin, M. C., Lin, S. F. & Wang, G. Y. (1998) 'An investigation of craft resource in Zhushan and the research of countermeasure against handicraft Renaissance [竹山地區工藝資源之調查與工藝振興對策之研究]'. Nantao: Taiwan Provincial
-  Handicraft Institute.
-  Yang, C. (2015) 'The History of Establishment of ‘Nantou Handicraft Seminar’ by Shui-Long Yen in the 1950s and His Achievements’ [1950 年代顏水龍主持「南投縣工藝研究班」之始末及其成果之研 究]'. Design Journal, vol. 20, no. 1, pp. 25-47.
-  Yao, T.-H., Sun, C.-Y. & Lin, P.-C. (2013) 'Modern Design in Taiwan: The Japanese Period, 1895– 1945'. Design Issues, vol. 29, no. 3, pp. 38-51.
-  Yue, A. (2006) 'Cultural governance and creative industries in Singapore'. International Journal of Cultural Policy, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 17-33.
-  Zeng, S.-L. (2004) 'The Oriental heritage collections in Europe: Intellectual forces [東方文物在歐洲: 之性的收藏勢力]', Taipei, Family of art collection.
LEE, Hung-Wei; BARNES, Carolyn; RENDA, Gianni; "Reviving Taiwan’s craft bamboo industry: Evaluating recent strategies to transform a heritage craft sector into a contemporary cultural industry", p. 186-191 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-03_002
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação