Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Prime Negatives: Parametric Sponge-Forming and Slip Casting for Ceramics
Traditional methods for slip casting require the creation of prototype “patterns” for the making of molds. Computer modeling, however, can be understood to produce virtual positives, thereby suggesting a CNC production focused on the creation of negatives, or molds, without the need for a physical pattern. Three experiments in slip casting for ceramics are examined as a means of producing production parts without first making prototype patterns in the positive. Two techniques leverage computer modeling and CNC tools to directly produce formwork for casting positives, while the third technique uses a lost positive formwork for production of the final part.
Palavras-chave: Ceramics, Digital fabrication, CNC, Computer aided manufacture, Parametric modeling,
-  Benyus, J. (1997). Biomimicry: Innovation Inspired by Nature. New York: Morrow.
-  Caldas, L., Andamp; Duarte, J. (2005). Fabricating Ceramic Covers Rethinking Roof Tiles in a Contemporary Context. In Duarte, Ducla-Soares, Andamp; Sampaio (Ed.), Digital Design: The Quest for New Paradigms, 23rd eCAADe Conference Proceedings (pp. 269-276). Lisbon: Architecture in the Network Society [22nd eCAADe Conference Proceedings].
-  Celento, D. J. (2009). Digital Craft Meets the Ancient Art of Ceramics: Would the Bauhaus Approve? Proceedings of the 13th Congress of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics, (pp. 104-106). Sao Paulo.
-  Lilley, B., Hudson, R., Plucknett, K., Macdonald, R., Cheng, N. Y.-W., Nielsen, S. A., et al. (2012). Ceramic Perspiration: Multi-Scalar Development of Ceramic Material. San Francisco: ACADIA 12: Synthetic Digital Ecologies [Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA).
-  Muslimin, R. (2010). Parametric Fabrication for Traditional Ceramics: A Dialectical Integration of Traditional and CAD/CAM Methods in Computational Design. SIGraDi 2010_Proceedings of the 14th Congress of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics, 1, pp. 222-228. Bogotá.
-  Reijnders, A., Andamp; EKWC. (2005). The Ceramic Process: A Manual and Source of Inspiration for Ceramic Art and Design. London: AC Black.
Weston, Mark; "Prime Negatives: Parametric Sponge-Forming and Slip Casting for Ceramics", p. 396-399 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0075
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação