Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Paper Engineering In Children’s Literature Design of paper mechanisms
In this study, we will go through the paper engineering and the mechanisms to make children’s pop-up books. We will briefly develop each design and its appearance in traditional children’s literature. The information is divided into several parts. First, we will define the engineering of paper and the task of engineers. Second, we will go through the different ways in which we can divide the mechanisms according to the effects we get from them, the kind of children’s books according to their technical mechanism, and lastly, the final classification as the main goal of this research. So we will show the most important mechanisms of paper, distinguishing those which retain the bi-dimensional nature of the book, remaining on the surface of the page, of those which lift up above it, resulting tri-dimensional figures made of complex structures and combination of different designs. Furthermore, by knowing the origins, we can understand its influence in subsequent creations and its evolution until nowadays. There are other areas that include paper engineering in their language, such as artist’s books, but in this paper we only study the use of paper mechanisms in children’s books.
Palavras-chave: design, paper, engineering, mechanisms, pop-up,
-  TREBBI, J-C. (2012) The Art of Pop-Up. Barcelona: Ed. Promopress.
-  CARTER, D and Díaz, J. (2009) Los elementos del Pop-up. Barcelona: Ed. Combel.
-  GUTIÉRREZ, A. (2005) “Libros móviles y desplegables”. Gestión de Centros Culturales Barcelona: Espai Cultural CAJA MADRID.
-  ORTEGA, A Mª y Gutiérrez, A. (2010) “Arte Pop-up. Libros de arte móviles y desplegables”. Edición: Ayuntamiento de Langreo-Pinacoteca Municipal de Langreo Eduardo Úrculo.
-  The Smithsonian Libraries (ed,) (2010/2011) “Paper Engineering: Fold, Pull, Pop Andamp; Turn”. The Smithsonian Libraries Exhibition Gallery, National Museum of American History. Washington DC.
-  DESSE, J. Web: Livresanimes. “Petite historie du livre à Systeme” “Techniques d’animation”. Visited: Throughout the research. http://www.livresanimes.com.html
-  G. K. RUBIN, E. Web: The Pop-up Lady 2000. Latest update: 2013 Visited: Throughout the research. http://www.popuplady.com
-  HINER, M. Personal Website. “A short history of pop-ups” Latest update: Mayo 2013. Visited: Throughout the research. http://www.markhiner.co.uk/history-text.htm
-  HUGALDE, H. Blog: Libros Pop-Up Books Cards Latest update: 04/09/13 Visited: Throughout the research. http://librospopup.blogspot.com
-  SABUDA, R. Personal Website. Latest update: Octubre de 2013. Visited: Throughout the research. http://robertsabuda.com/
-  VAN DER MEER, R. Personal Website. “A short history of paper engineering and pop-up books” . Visited: 01/02/11 http://www.nadazip.com/howmany/history1.html
Sánchez, Marta Serrano; Rodríguez, Carmen Hidalgo; "Paper Engineering In Children’s Literature Design of paper mechanisms", p. 651-656 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0095
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação