Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Object oriented identity construction: A study on subcultures of automobile modification in Turkey
Today within consumerism, products become tools of social communication. Symbolic meanings of objects allow individuals to communicate their identities, social status and personal characteristics through products. Moreover, some consumers who are not satisfied by the offerings of the industry, perform some kind of bricolage; not only to create new forms, but also new meanings according to their usage practices. Automobile modification is this kind of form and meaning reproduction. Especially, subcultures of automobile modification perform this activity in order to construct their subcultural identity. In this sense, this paper aims to analyze object oriented identity construction of automobile modification subcultures in Turkey.
Palavras-chave: consumption, identity, subcultures, automobile modification,
-  Baudrillard, J. (1994). Simulacra and Simulation Glaser, S.F. (trans.), Ann Harbor: The University of Michigan Press.
-  Belge, M. (1990) ‘Toplumsal Değişme ve Arabesk’, Birikim, no. 17, pp.16-23.
-  Belk, R. W. (1988) ‘Possessions and the Extended Self’, Journal of Consumer Research, vol.15, no. 2, September, pp. 139-168.
-  Csikszentmihalyi, M. and Rochberg-Halton, E. (1981) The meaning of things: domestic symbols and the self, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
-  Giddens, A. (1992) Modernity and Self-identity: Self and Society in the Late Modern Age, Cambridge: Polity Press.
-  Hall, S. and Jefferson, T. (1993) Resistance Through Rituals: Youth Subcultures in Post-war Britain, London: Routledge.
-  Hebdige, D. (2002) Subculture: The Meaning of Style, London: Routledge.
-  Tekelioğlu, O. (2010) ‘Apaşlardan Apaçilere’, Radikal Newspaper. 14th November.
-  Thornton, S. (1997) General Introduction, in Gelder, K. and Thornton, S. (ed.), The subcultures reader, London: Routledge.
Ülkebaş, Selen Devrim; "Object oriented identity construction: A study on subcultures of automobile modification in Turkey", p. 365-371 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0050
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação