Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Looking at The Design Society Journal: Attempts of design authorship in graphic design from Singapore, 2009 – 2013
The Design Society (TDS) was recently established in Singapore and runs ‘The Design Society Journal’ (TDSJ), a self-published design magazine documenting Singapore’s visual culture. As designer-editors, they aim to cultivate graphic design discourse in Singapore through critical journalism. This posits their practice as design authorship and TDSJ as ‘designer-authored’ history. This paper presents a brief study on the first eight issues of TDSJ (2009 to 2013) using an analytical framework mainly from the ideas of Michael Rock, Steven McCarthy and Teal Triggs. An investigation into three areas—editorial structure, textual content, and designed form—reveals that TDSJ is still a work-in-progress while unravelling the publisher’s ideology. It suggests the expansion and refinement of theories on design authorship by addressing the complications involved when discussed transnationally against other distinguished Euro-American examples. With the increasing interest in studying these graphic artefacts, this provisional reading presents another perspective to the current discourse on design authorship.
Palavras-chave: Graphic design history, design authorship, designer-authored history, designer-authored magazine, critical journalism, graphic design criticism,
-  Barthes, R. (1977). Image, Music, Text. New York: Hill and Wang.
-  Chan, L. K. (2011). Visualising Local Identities: Post-war Graphic Design in Singapore. 6th Asian De-sign International Conference, vol. 1.
-  Chan, L. K. (2011). Visualizing Multi-Racialism in Singapore: Graphic Design as a Tool for Ideology and Policy in Nation Building. Design Issues, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 63–69.
-  Eisenman, P., and Koolhas, R. (2010). Supercritical. London: AA Publications.
-  Fallan, K. (2012) ‘The Metamorphosis of a Norwegian Design Magazine: nye bonytt, 1968–1971’, in Lees-Maffei, G. (ed.) Writing Design: Words and Objects. Oxford: Berg.
-  Ho, H, (2009). Editorial, The Design Society Journal, no. 0, pp. 3.
-  H55 Studio (http://www.h55studio.com/portfolio/the-design-society-journal/)
-  Kikuchi, Y., and Lee, Y. (2014) Transnational Modern Design Histories in East Asia: An Introduction. Journal of Design History, vol. 27, no. 4, pp. 323–334.
-  Kinross, R. (2004) Modern Typography: An Essay in Critical History, 2nd edition, Hyphen Press.
-  McCarthy, S. (2011) Designer-Authored Histories: Graphic Design at the Goldstein Museum of De-sign. Design Issues, vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 7–20.
-  McCarthy, S. (2013) The Designer As... Author, Producer, Activist, Entrepreneur, Curator & Collaborator: New Models for Communicating. Amsterdam: Uitgeverij Bis.
-  Poynor, R. (2003). No more rules : graphic design and postmodernism. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press.
-  Rigley, S. (2013) Design City in a Hurry [Book Review] Retrieved from: http://www.eyemagazine.com/blog/post/design-city-in-a-hurry
-  Rock, M. (1996) Designer As Author [Essay] Retrieved from: http://2x4.org/ideas/22/
-  designer-as-author/
-  Rock, M. (2009) Fuck Content [Essay] Retrieved from: http://2x4.org/ideas/2/fuck-content/
-  Rock, M. (2013) Multiple Signatures: On Designers, Authors, Readers and Users, New York: Rizzoli In-ternational Publications.
-  Surya, S. (2009) ‘For a Point of View’, The Design Society Journal, no. 0, pp. 31–37.
-  The Design Society (http://designsociety.sg/society)
-  Triggs, T. (2009) ‘Designing Graphic Design History’, Journal of Design History, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 325–340.
-  Turnbull C. M. (2009) A History of Modern Singapore, 1819–2005. Singapore: NUS Press.
-  Walker, J. A. (1989) Design History and the History of Design, London: Pluto Press.
-  Yeo, R., and Lim, J. L. (2013) ‘(Re)Imagining the Past: The Possibility of Design as Historiography’, The Design Society Journal, no. 6, pp. 68–71.
-  Zhuang, J. (2009) ‘A Design of its Time’, The Design Society Journal, no. 0, pp. 62–86.
-  Zhuang, J. (2012) Independence: The History of Graphic Design in Singapore Since the 1960s, Singa-pore: The Design Society.
-  Zhuang, J. (2009). ‘Where to Next?’, The Design Society Journal, no. 0, pp. 64–87.
KONG, Wen Da; "Looking at The Design Society Journal: Attempts of design authorship in graphic design from Singapore, 2009 – 2013", p. 38-44 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-01_008
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação