setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Intertwining histories of design: Portraying the map of present European design history through 10 ICDHS Conferences (1999–2014)
After the tenth anniversary of the ICDHS Conferences, this paper recalls and expands upon the European Province workshop held two years ago to address a transnational approach to reviewing the many histories of design that have emerged at these conferences. We have restricted the focus to Europe. This represents a first step in a wider research project aiming to rewrite the European history of design, comparing and intertwining all these peripheral histories that have emerged and, thus, establish the wider history. The project also assumes a previous task: to clarify what we actually mean nowadays by Europe. The aim is to draw the boundaries of a cultural, technical and aesthetic territory, a map of Europe based on what we have learned from the ICDHS conferences, and to think about it. This is the central argument of this paper.
Palavras-chave: European Province, transnational history, Braudel, histories of design, ICDHS,
-  Braudel, F. (1979) Civilisation Matérielle, Economie et Capitalisme, XVe-XVIIIe Siècle. 3 Vols. Paris: Armand Colin
-  Braudel, F. (2001) Les écrits de Fernand Braudel. L’Histoire au quotidien. Paris, Fallois
-  Chartier, R. ‘La conscience de la globalité’. Annales HSS, January-February, 2001, no. 1, pp. 119-123
-  Delanty, G. (2003) ‘Is there a European Identity?’. Global Dialogue, Vol. 5, no. 3-4, Summer-Autumn “The Future of Europe”
-  ICDHS’ Proceeding and abstracts books: http://www.ub.edu/gracmon/icdhs/
-  Farias, P.L. and Atkinson, P. (eds.) 2014 Design Frontiers. Territories, Concepts, Technologies, Selected papers from 8th ICDHS São Paulo, México, Designio; proceedings CD for the 8th ICDHS Conference, São Paulo.
CALVERA, Anna; BARBOSA, Helena; "Intertwining histories of design: Portraying the map of present European design history through 10 ICDHS Conferences (1999–2014)", p. 145-151 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-02_016
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação