dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Information Visualization: An analysis On The Data Glut And The Emergency To Rethink And Design New Communicative Paradigms
This article aims to relate the current condition of contemporary society, the non-information society that is characterized by a ubiquitously multidirectional information flow, and an urgent need to induce reflection, intervention and repositioning by the Design discipline about this problematic. Given the increased difficulty in effectively communicating information in various sectors and services of our society, an efficient communication of data is a contradictory fact that the global networked society faces. In this sense, this article demonstrates that, designers are faced with the urgent task to rethink the existing processes of communication and information systems, but also develop new tools in order to search, filter, framework and efficiently visualize complex amounts of data. The task of understanding, conceptualizing and designing our complex information systems in a comprehensible and accessible manner, currently represents an important goal and a vast field of action. This paper shows the need to deepen the study about the emergent subject that is the field of Information Visualization. The work here presented is a starting point discussion on the subject, which aims to find a solution to the problem of the non-information contemporary society, focusing specifically on the importance of Information Visualization, in order to provide further reflections on the topic.
Palavras-chave: data glut, organization, information visualization design,
-  Chen, C. (2006) Information Visualization: Beyond the Horizon, and 2nd edition, London: Springer-Verlag.
-  Ciuccarelli, P. (2009), ‘Living with Information: Architecture and Visualization’ (video file). [Electronic], Available from: Andlt; http://www.vimeo.com/8012824Andgt; [22 December 2012].
-  Fry, B. (2008) Visualizing Data, and 1st edition, Sebastopol: O’Reilly Media, Inc. Gleick, J. (2011) The Information, A History, A Theory, A Flood, New York: Vintage Books.
-  Lima, M. (2011) Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information, New York: Princeton Architectural Press.
-  Moritz, S. (2009), ‘Living with Information: Architecture and Visualization’ (video file). [Electronic], Available from: Andlt;http://vimeo.com/8012824Andgt; [22 December 2012].
-  Rheingold, H. (2002) Smart Mobs The Next Social Revolution, USA: Perseus Basic Books.
-  Schuller, G. (2009) The World as Flatland Report 1: Designing Universal Knowledge, Baden: Lars Müller Publishers.
-  Shedroff, N. (1994), ‘Information Interaction Design A Unified Field Theory of Design’. [Electronic], Available from: Andlt;http://www.nathan.com/thoughts/unified/unified.pdfAndgt; [01 August 2013].
-  Thackara, J. (2006) In the Bubble: Designing in a Complex World, London: MIT Press. Wright, A. (2008) Glut Mastering Information Through the Ages, Ithaca and London:
-  Cornell University Press.
-  Wurman, R. (2001) Information Anxiety 2, Indiana: QUE.
Azevedo, Bruno; Bastardo, Rute; Tortosa, Rubén; Bártolo, José; "Information Visualization:
An analysis On The Data Glut And The Emergency To Rethink And Design New Communicative Paradigms", p. 477-482 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0068
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação