Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Inferiority complex or competitive success: An analysis on the national identity of Turkish product design practice
The paper discusses the evaluation of globalization and the national identity in terms of its effects on design discourse. With the established theoretical framework, the special focus is put on the analysis of the national identity of Turkish design that is mostly based on traditional values. In the study, literature review and discourse analysis are applied as methods of inquiry in exploring how designers represent culture and construct a Turkish design identity in their works. Based on the analysis, the following discussion is raised; if cultural representation of design is a need of competitive success in a globalized market or a result of an inferiority complex inherited from anachronism for many years.
Palavras-chave: globalization, national identity, turkish design, cultural representation,
-  Aldersley-Williams, H. (1992) ‘Globalism, Nationalism and Design’, In H. Clarck and D. Brody (Eds.),Design studies: A reader (pp. 426-432) Oxford, England: MPG Books Group.
-  Appadurai, A. (1996) Modernity at large. Minneapolis, MN: University of Minnesota Press.
-  Aydınlı, S. (1996) ‘Ürün tasarımında kitsch kavramı üzerine’ [On kitsch in product design], Proceedings of the 2nd National Design Congress “Tasarımda Evrenselleşme”. İTÜ Publications, İstanbul.
-  Aynsley, J. (1993) Nationalism and Internationalism: Design in the Twentieth Century, Victoria and Albert Museum, London.
-  Balcioglu, T. (1999) ‘Problematic of local and global design identity in new industrialized countries with special emphasis on Turkey: Where does the hope lie? Exploited Promises of Globalization and Local Heroes’, Proceedings of the Third European Academy of Design Conference vol. 1, Sheffield Hallam University, 30th March – 1st April, Sheffield.
-  Bayrakçı, O. (1996) ‘Yerel ürün kimligi-küresel dıs pazar’. [Local product identity-global foreign market], Proceedings of the 2nd National Design Congress “Tasarımda Evrenselleşme”. İTÜ Publications, İstanbul.
-  Billig M. (1995) Banal nationalism. London, Sage Publications.
-  Coskun Orlandi, A. (2006) ‘Günümüzde Türkiye’de turistik metalar üzerindeki oryantalist etkiler ve bu çerçevede tasarımda ulusal kimlik’. [Orientalist effects on contemporary touristic objects in Turkey and national identity in design through this perspective], Proceedings of the 3rd National Design Congress “Türkiye`de Tasarımı Tartışmak”. İTÜ Publications, İstanbul.
-  Deutsch, H. “Relative Identity”, The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Winter 2008 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.), Available: http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/win2008/entries/identity-relative/ [5 Apr 2014].
-  Er, H. A. (2007) Turkish touch in design: Geometrik soyutlama ve göçebe duyarliligi. [Turkish touch in design: Geometric abstraction and nomad sensibility]. Icon, 6,pp. 106-109.
-  Er, H. A. (2009) A creative convergence of modernity, globalization and tradition: understanding industrial design in Turkey. Asia Design Journal, vol.4 no. 4.
-  ‘Hadji Collection’. [Photopraph of ‘Hadji Collection’ a decorative bowl design by Erdem Akan], Available: http://www.erdemakan.com/?portfolio=Hadji_CollectionAndamp;thumbposition=112 [15 Feb 2014].
-  Harel, D.and Prabhu,G. (1999) ‘Global User Experience (GLUE). Design for cultural diversity: Japan, China and India, designing for global market’. Proceedings of the first international workshop on internationalization of products and systems, pp. 205-216.
-  Karakartal, M. (2007) ‘Milano seferinden zafer çığlığı geliyor’. [Victory cry from Milano expedition]. Radikal Cumartesi, Available: http://www.nurus.com/files/images/press/zafer.jpg [26 Apr 2013].
-  Karakus, G. (2007) Turkish touch in design: contemporary product design by Turkish designers worldwide. İstanbul, Tasarım Yayın Grubu.
-  Kapucu, B. (2007) ‘Interview with Can Yalman’. Icon, 3, 80-85.
-  Kaygan, H. (2006) ‘Evaluation of products through the concept of national design; a case study on ArtDecor magazine’. Unpublished master’s thesis, Middle East Technical University, Department of Industrial Design.
-  Kaygan, H. (2008) ‘Tasarımda milli kimligin varolus kosulları’. [Existence conditions of national identity in design], Proceedings of 4T Turkish Design History Society Meetings “Kim(lik)lerin tasarımı” İzmir Ekonomi Üniversitesi, İzmir.
-  Kelley, T. (2001) The art of innovation. Harper Collins Business, London.
-  Kongar, E. (1997) ‘Küresellesme ve kültürel farklılıklar çerçevesinde ulusal kültür’. [Globalization and national culture on cultural differences grounds]. Available: http://www.kongar.org/makaleler/mak_ku.php [26 Apr 2013].
-  Press. (2007) Available: http://www.nurus.com.tr/en/news/press/local/2007 [26 Apr 2013].
-  Porter, M. E. (1990) The competitive advantage of nations. Harvard Bussiness Review. 68(2). Available: http://kkozak.wz.cz/Porter.pdf [26 Apr 2013].
-  Said, E. (1985) Orientalism. London, Penguin Books.
-  Soykan, T. “‘ilk in Milano’ bir baslangic”. [ilk in Milano was a start]. (2007) [Photopraph of designs in ‘ilk in Milano’]. Natura. 116-117. Available: http://www.nurus.com.tr/files/images/press/natura.jpg [26 Apr 2013].
-  ‘Tipsy Serving Tray’. [Photopraph of ‘Tipsy Tray’ a traditional tea serving tray by Koray Özgen]. Available: http://www.fitzsu.com/Ozgen-TIPSY-Serving-Tray.html [15 Feb 2014].
-  ‘Türk tasarımcılardan Milano çıkarması’. [Milano invasion from Turkish designers]. (2007) Dünya. Retrieved from http://www.nurus.com/files/images/press/dunya.jpg [26 Apr 2013].
Gümüşlü, Sedef Ala; "Inferiority complex or competitive success: An analysis on the national identity of Turkish product design practice", p. 415-420 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0058
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação