Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Gracious: Modern living in post-independence Singapore
In the 1960s, Singapore began a rapid period of urbanisation, altering city and domestic sphere. In 1969, the concept of ‘gracious living’ was introduced to capture the ideal qualities of modern Singapore, but it remained ill-defined. This paper explores the dissemination of gracious living in 1969–75 through Singapore’s popular press. It shows how gracious living was adopted as a counterpart to modernity, transformed, embraced advertising, and came to be derided as empty materialism. Gracious living shows us an important ideological device in Singapore’s programs of nation building and modernisation, and this study attempts to account for the core principles underpinning its uses.
Palavras-chave: Singapore, policy, modernisation, governmentality, consumerism,
-  Ah, Fook and Mei, Lin. (1975, November 13) Talking Point. New Nation, p.20.
-  An Observer. (1971, December 17) Sad – But Only Money Makes Gracious Living Possible… Straits Times, p.19.
-  Bassapa, Thomas. (1971, February 25) How About Trapping Them? New Nation, p.8.
-  Bungalows Designed for Gracious Living Will Cost $350,000 Each. (1972, August 19) New Nation, p.1
-  Call to Cultivate Interest in Fine Arts. (1971, July 24) Straits Times, p.4.
-  Chew, Cheng Kian. (1971, November 3) The High Cost of Gracious Living. Straits Times, p.19.
-  Chua, Amy. (1971, April 16) The Style of Living That Turns Out to be Graceful, Not Gracious… New Nation, p.8.
-  Cuming, Luella. (1965) The Luella Cuming Studio Course in Social Awareness, Poise, and Gracious Living, New York: Parker.
-  Every Facility for Gracious Living. (1976, October 26) Straits Times, p.1
-  Family Planning the Way to Gracious Living. (1970, August 13) Straits Times, p.15.
-  Gardens and Parks Part of Gracious Living. (1972, April 16) Straits Times, p.9.
-  Getting the Wrong Idea About Living Graciously. (1972, May 5) Straits Times, p.7.
-  Hassan, M. Hashim. (1970, April 9) Life on the Estate Not So ‘Gracious’. Straits Times, p.8.
-  How Artists Can Ensure a Gracious Life. (1970, October 3) Straits Times, p.19.
-  Jacobs, Jane M., and Cairns, Stephen. (2008) The Modern Touch: Interior Design and Modernisation in Post-independence Singapore. Environment and Planning (40), pp.572–595.
-  Koh, Edgar. (1974, February 23) Gracious Living Can be Led Simply. New Nation, p.6.
-  [Letter]. (1972, March 6) Straits Times, p.13.
-  Not Just Grace of Place. (1972, October 30) Straits Times, p.14.
-  Powell, Robert. (1996) Urban Morphology: Values Embedded in the Singapore Landscape. Journal of Southeast Asian Architecture (1), pp.46–59.
-  Pratt, Joseph B. (1932) The Door to Gracious Living: The Art of Hospitality, New York: Butterick.
-  Trade Fair Will Emphasise Gracious Living. (1971, October 22) New Nation, p.3.
-  Tunstall, Elizabeth D. (2004) In Design We Trust: Design, Governmentality, and the Tangibility of Governance. Paper presented at the Society for Applied Anthropology.
-  Yeo, Cheng Chuan R. Dream. (1971, March 13) New Nation, p.9.
O'NEIL, Jesse; "Gracious: Modern living in post-independence Singapore", p. 19-23 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-01_004
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação