Setembro 2016 vol. 8 num. 2 - The 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Digital fabrication and revival craft in Latin America: Alliance between designers and artisans
Latin America has experienced scripting and digital fabrication, and the alliance between de-signers and artisans. Taking into account that the revival of crafts has proved very promising in Latin America (Borges, 2015), the objective of this research is to analyse the diversity of cases and select those where designers took an interest for strengthening the artisans’ jobs in the field of pottery and textiles. We found that both revitalised the identity and cultural tradition in their own countries, in a moment when craft seemed to drop in front of industrial produc-tion. By preserving traditional materials, pieces continue to be unique and customizable, transcending thus their local origin towards new global markets.
Palavras-chave: Digital craft, Latin America, fabrication laboratories, artisan,
-  Borges, A. (2011) Design + Craft. The Brazilian Path, Sao Paulo: Editora Terceiro Nome.
-  Borges, A. (2015) Craft revitalisation as a change agent in Latin America. Making Futures Journal. Retrived from http://www.plymouthart.ac.uk/documents/Adelia_Borges_-_Keynote.pdf
-  Bunnell, K. (2004) Craft and Digital Technology, World Craft Council 40th Annual Conference, Metsovo, Greece.
-  Bunnell, K. (1998) The Integration of New Technology into Ceramic Designer-Maker Practice, PhD Thesis published on CDROM, The Robert Gordon University, Aberdeen
-  Cardoso, D. (2009) Generative Craft. A brief critical inquiry into design automation and design au-tomata, 13th SIGraDi, pp. 288-290. Sao Paulo.
-  Concejo Nacional de la Cultura y las Artes. (2010) Política de fomento para la artesanía, 2010-2015, Valparaíso, Chile.
-  Diario Oficial el Peruano, (2007) Ley 29073 del artesano y del desarrollo de la actividad artesanal, Li-ma, Perú.
-  Dirección Regional de Comercio Exterior y Turismo – Puno (2013) Plan operativo institucional.
-  Duque, C., Sethi, R. and Vencatachellum, I. (2005) Designers meet Artisans. Craft Revival Trust. New Delhi, India.
-  Feringa, J. (2012) Implicit Fabrication, Fabrication beyond Craft, The potential of turing complete-ness in construction. Synthetic Digital Ecologies: ACADIA 32, pp. 383-390. San Francisco: California College of the Arts,
-  Ferris, M. (2009) The Crafts in the Context of Emerging Global Sustainability Agendas, Making Fu-ture Journal, vol. 1. Retrived from http://mfarchive.plymouthart.ac.uk/journalvol1/papers/Making%20Futures%20Paper%20Editor%20Introduction.pdf
-  Ferris, M. (2013) The returns of Craft in a Post-Global Sustainably Aware Society, Making Future Journal, vol. 3. Retrived from http://mfarchive.plymouthart.ac.uk/journalvol3/assets/making_futures_editors_introduction_by_malcolm_ferris.pdf
-  gt_2P. Great things to People (2014). Losing my America. Retrived from http://www.gt2p.com/Losing-my-America-1
-  GSD Harvard (n.d.). Doctoral Programs. Student Profiles. Retrived from http://www.gsd.harvard.edu/#/academic-programs/doctoral-programs/ddes/student-profiles.html
-  Herrera, P. (2010) Disruptive Technologies: Scripting and Digital Fabrication in Latin America, 14th SIGraDi, pp. 213-216. Bogotá.
-  Herrera, P. and Juarez, B. (2013) Fabrication Laboratories: Problems and possibilities of implemen-tation in Latin America, Fab9 Research. Yokohama.
-  Keep, J. (2016) The Form is in the Code, Ceramics and New Technologies Symposium. Retrived from http://www.holburne.org/planning-your-visit/whats-on/talks/ceramics-symposium-abstract/
-  Kipöz, Ş; Himam, F (2014) Re-Inventing Traditional Textiles For The Contemporary Design Culture, 9th ICDHS, pp. 439-444. Sao Paulo.
-  Leach, N. and Yuan, P. (2012) Scripting the Future, Shanghai: Tongji University Press.
-  Luli, E. and Minto, M. (2015) Digital Fabrication in Brazil. Academic production in the last decade. In Celani, Sperling, Franco (Eds.) 16th International Conference CAAD Futures 2015, pp. 421-433. São Paulo.
-  Naboni, R.; Breseghllo, L. (2015) Weaving Enclosure. Material computation and novel forms of Crafting, 19th SIGraDi, pp. 384-391. Florianopolis.
-  Organización de Estados Americanos (1973) Carta Interamericana de las Artesanías y las Artes Po-pulares, Washington D.C.
-  Rosso, A. (n.d.) Digital Crafting with gt2P Chilean Collective. Retrived from
-  https://artemest.com/magazine/new-vision/gt2p-digital-crafting
-  Senske, N. (2014) Digital Minds, Materials, and Ethics: Linking Computational Thinking and Digital Craft, 19th CAADRIA, pp. 841-850. Hong Kong
-  SHoP (2012) Shop Out of Practice, New York: Monacelli Press.
-  Sperling, D.; Herrera, P.; Scheeren, R. (2015) Migratory Movements of Homo Faber: Mapping Fab Labs in Latin America, CAAD Futures 2015, pp. 405-421. Sao Paulo.
-  Vargas, G. (1999) ‘Flexible Looms: Weavers´ Organizations in Chiapas, Mexico’, Urban Anthropolo-gy and Studies of Cultural Systems and World Economic Development, vol. 28, August, pp. 299-325.
HERRERA, Pablo C.; "Digital fabrication and revival craft in Latin America: Alliance between designers and artisans", p. 291-295 . In: Wong, Wendy Siuyi; Kikuchi, Yuko & Lin, Tingyi (Eds.). Making Trans/National Contemporary Design History [=ICDHS 2016 – 10th Conference of the International Committee for Design History & Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2016-03_019
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação