dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 8 - XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Design in Freedom
Article - Open Access.
Design Out of Necessity: Architectural Approach to Extreme Climatic Conditions
This paper is the culmination of the first phase of research in the development of adaptive surface conditions which can mitigate extreme climatic scenarios, specifically air pollution. How can the discipline of architecture address worst-case climate scenarios within inhabit- able structures? The question asked throughout this case study and research project was essentially based on a critique of the architectural community’s utilization of sustainable technologies in design, and whether current design initiatives were in fact aggressive enough in their approach to “green” building. While assessing the probable environmental changes likely to affect the architectural discipline in the future, this research project developed computational simulations of polluted atmospheres in order to develop surfaces which would respond formally.
Palavras-chave: Adaptive, Behavioral, Responsive, Ecological, Generative,
-  Addington, M., Andamp; Schodek, D. (2005). Smart Materials and Technologies: for the Architecture and Design Professions. Architectural Press.
-  Carroll, S. B. (2005). Endless Forms Most Beautiful: The New Science of Evo Devo. W.W, Norton Andamp; Company.
-  Farmer, G. Andamp; Guy, S. (2001). Reinterpreting Sustainable Archi- tecture: The Place of Technology. Journal of Architectural Education, Vol. 54, No. 3, 140-148. Retrieved from http:// www.jstor.org/stable/1425580
-  Fussell, J. C. Andamp; Kelly, F. J. (2011). Air Pollution and Airway Dis- ease. Clinical Andamp; Experimental Allergy Journal, Vol. 41, Issue 8. 1059-1071. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ doi/10.1111/j.1365-2222.2011.03776.x/abstract
-  IPCC Working Group I. (2013). Climate Change 2013: The Physical Basis. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Retrieved from http://www.climatechange2013.org/images/ report/WG1AR5_ALL_FINAL.pdf
-  Klooster, T. (2009). Smart Surfaces: and their Application in Architecture and Design. Birkhäuser Architecture, 116-130. Bottger, M., Lovell, S., Andamp; von Borries, F. (2008). Updating Ger- many: 100 Projects for a Better Future. Hatje Cantz, 62-63. Lynn, G. (1999). Animate Form. Princeton Architectural Press, 8-43. Neder, F. (2008). Fuller Houses: R. Buckminster fuller’s Dymax- ion Dwellings and Other Domestic Adventures. Lars Muller
-  Publishers.
-  Steele, J. (1997). Sustainable Architecture: Principles, Paradigms, and Case Studies. McGraw Hill, 1-5
-  Von Goethe, J. W. (1790). The Metamorphosis of Plants. The MIT Press Edition 200
-  World Health Organization. (2010). WHO guidelines for indoor air quality: Selected Pollutants. Retrieved from http://www.euro.who.int/data/assets/pdf_file/0009/128169/e94535.pdf?ua=1
Kerestes, James F.; "Design Out of Necessity: Architectural Approach to Extreme Climatic Conditions", p. 130-133 . In: Proceedings of the XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Design in Freedom [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.8].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2014-0022
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação