Novembro 2016 vol. 3 num. 1 - XX Congreso de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital
Full Article - Open Access.
Data Transmission Opportunities for Collaborative Cloud-Based Building Information Modeling
Collaboration within Building Information Modeling process is mainly based on file transfer while BIM data being exchanged in either vendor specific file formats or neutral format using Industry Foundation Classes (IFC). However, since the Web enables Cloud-based BIM services, it provides an opportunity to exchange data via Web transfer services. Therefore, the main objective of this paper is to investigate what features of Cloud interoperability can assist a network-based BIM data transmission for a collaborative work flow in the Architecture, Construction, and Engineering (AEC) industry. This study indicates that Cloud-BIM interoperability needs to deploy major components such as APIs, data transfer protocols, data formats, and standardization to redefine BIM data flow in the Cloud and to reshape the collaboration process.
Palavras-chave: BIM; Cloud Computing; Data Transmission; Interoperability; IFC,
-  Afsari K., Eastman C. M. and Dennis R. S. (2016). Cloud-based BIM Data Transmission: Current Status and Challenges. In Proceedings of the 33rd International Symposium on Automation and Robotics in Construction (ISARC). Auburn, Alabama.
-  Antonopoulos, N., & Gillam, L. (2010). Cloud Computing: Principles, Systems and Applications. Springer.
-  Bernstein D, Ludvigson E, Sankar K, Diamond S, Morrow M. (2009) Blueprint for the intercloud – protocols and formats for cloud computing interoperability. In Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Internet and Web Applications and Services (ICIW 2009). IEEE: Venice/Mestre, Italy, 2009; 328–336.
-  Beetz, J., Berlo, L., Laat, R., & Bonsma, P. (2011). Advances in the development and application of an open source model server for building information. CIB W078 – Information Technology for Construction. Sophia Antipolis, France.
-  Berlo L. (2016). BIM Service interface exchange (BIMSie). Retrieved May 2016 from https://www.nibs.org/?page=bsa_bimsie
-  buildingSMART (2013) Industry Foundation Classes Release 4 (IFC4), retrieved July 2016 from: http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/ifc/IFC4/final/html/
-  buildingSMART. (2012). An Integrated Process for Delivering IFC Based Data Exchange. buildingSMART International User Group.
-  buildingSMART. (2016). IFC Overview summary. Retrieved from buildingSMART: http://www.buildingsmart-tech.org/specifications/ifc-overview
-  Curry, E., O’Donnell, J., Corry, E., Hasan, S., Keane, M., & O’Riain, S. (2013). Linking building data in the cloud: Integrating cross-domain building data using linked data. Advanced Engineering Informatics. 206–21
-  Dillon, T., Wu, C., and Chang, E. (2010) Cloud Computing: Issues and Challenges. IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications. 27–33.
-  Eastman, C., Jeong, Y., Sacks, R., and Kaner, I. (2010). Exchange Model and Exchange Object Concepts for Implementation of National BIM Standards. Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering. 25-34.
-  Endo, P. T., Gon¸calves G. E., Kelner J., and Sadok D. (2010). A Survey on Open-source Cloud Computing Solutions. VIII Workshop em Clouds, Grids e Aplicacoes. 3-16.
-  Flux (2016). Flux Overview, Retrieved July 2016 from: https://community.flux.io/content/kbentry/1258/flux-overview.html.
-  Gong, C., Liu, J., Zhang, Q., Chen, H., & Gong, Z. (2010). The Characteristics of Cloud Computing. 39th International Conference on Parallel Processing Workshops. San Diego, CA: IEEE. 275 – 279.
-  IBM. (2006). TCP/IP Tutorial and Technical Overview. International Technical Support Organization. Retrieved July 2016 from https://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/gg243376.pdf
-  ISO (2015), ISO 16739:2013- Industry Foundation Classes (IFC) for data sharing in the construction and facility management industries.
-  Jadeja Y. & Modi K. (2012). Cloud Computing - Concepts, Architecture and Challenges, in the proceedings of International Conference on Computing Electronics and Electrical Technologies. Nagercoil, India. 877-880.
-  Juan, D., & Zheng, Q. (2014). Cloud and Open BIM-Based Building Information Interoperability Research. Journal of Service Science and Management. Vol.7. 47-56.
-  Loutas, N., Kamateri, E., and Konstantinos, T. (2011) Cloud computing interoperability: the state of play, in: Proceedings, CloudCom 2011, IEEE Computer Society. 752-757.
-  Lewis, G. A. (2013). The Role of Standards in Cloud Computing Interoperability. Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon.
-  Maeda, K. (2012). Performance evaluation of object serialization libraries in XML, JSON and binary formats. 2nd Conference on Digital Information and Communication Technology and its Applications (DICTAP). 177-182.
-  NBS. (2015). National BIM Standard- United States. Version 3. National Institute of Building Sciences. buildingSMART alliance.
-  NIST. (2014). US Government Cloud Computing Technology Roadmap, Volume I and II, Special Publication 500-293. National Institute of Standards and Technology.
-  Petcu D., Craciun C., Rak M. (2011). Towards a cross platform Cloud API—components for Cloud federation, in: Proceedings, CLOSER 2011, SciTe Press. 166–169.
-  Rimal BP, Choi E, Lumb I (2009). A taxonomy and survey of cloud computing systems. In: The fifth international joint conference on INC, IMS and IDC. 44–51.
-  Shafiq MT, Matthews J, Lockley SR. (2013). A Study of BIM Collaboration Requirements and Available Features in Existing Model Collaboration Systems. Journal of Information Technology in Construction. Vol. 18. 148-16.
-  Schenck D. and Wilson P. (1994), Information Modeling: The EXPRESS Way, Oxford University Press.
-  Sumaray, A., Makki, S. (2012). A comparison of data serialization formats for optimal efficiency on a mobile platform. In: Proc. 6th International Conf. on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication. Kuala Lumpur. Malaysia. 48:1–48:6.
-  Wang, G. (2011). Improving Data Transmission in Web Applications via the Translation between XML and JSON. Third International Conference on Communications and Mobile Computing. Qingdao: IEEE. 182 – 185.
-  Wong, J., Wang, X., Li, H., Chan, G., & Li, H. (2014). A Review of Cloud-Based BIM Technology in the Construction Sector. Journal of Information Technology in Construction. Vol. 19, 282.
-  Wu, W., & Issa, R. (2012). Leveraging Cloud-BIM for LEED Automation. Journal of Information Technology in Construction. Vol. 17. 367-384.
-  Yang, J., Anand, R., Hobson, S., Lee, J., Wang, Y., & Xu, J. (2011). Data Service Portal for Application Integration in Cloud Computing. Proceedings of 8th International Conference & Expo on Emerging Technologies for a Smarter World (CEWIT). New York, NY: IEEE. 1-3.
-  Zhang, J., Liu, Q., Yu, F., Hu, Z., and Zhao, W. (2014). A Framework of Cloud-computing-based BIM Service for Building Lifecycle. Computing in Civil and Building Engineering. 1514-1521.
Afsari, Kereshmeh; Eastman, Charles M.; Shelden, Dennis R.; "Data Transmission Opportunities for Collaborative Cloud-Based Building Information Modeling", p. 907-913 . In: XX Congreso de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.3 n.1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2016-448
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação