novembro 2017 vol. 3 num. 12 - 11º Congresso Brasileiro de Inovação e Gestão de Desenvolvimento do Produto
Artigo Completo - Open Access.
COMPLEMENTING ENGINEERING DESIGN USING DESIGN THINKING: AN ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY APPROACH
Product development in traditional engineering methodologies is usually a broad and intricate process, encompassing specific stages that are essential to the development, but oftentimes lacking the needed comprehension of the final user. On the other hand, Design Thinking (DT) is a still incipient methodology, though focused on enhancing innovation skills through a human-centered design approach to support decision-making. Both methodologies were designed for different contexts, each with specific benefits and limitations. With the increasing focus on innovation and the highly competitive market, aspects from both approaches can be combined to enhance the design practice. Such combination may serve as a catalyzer for innovation, reinforcing with traditional methodologies the solid base required in product/service development, but still reaching for DT heuristics and techniques to achieve better multidisciplinary teams, experimentation practices and a higher focus on users. This work intends to elucidate congruent aspects of both approaches to outline an integrative systematization. A literature review on the Ulrich and Eppinger methodology and three DT references was used as comparison basis for this work. By comparing and merging both paradigms, we propose a “hybrid” systematization, adapting aspects from both to reach a robust and adaptive model. The combined approach should be applicable to various contexts, using DT to broaden the use situations of traditional methodologies and ease the adaptation for unusual contexts in engineering design, such as assistive technology products. In this context, the processes used in a traditional engineering methodology and in DT were analyzed, exploring convergences and divergences that hint for gaps of intersection. In a comparative analysis, the methodologies are mutually complementary, converging for a flexible prescriptive proposition of the development process This becomes clear when comparing the proposed systematization to a specific methodology of assistive technology design, demonstrating the flexibility of the approach for reaching outlying contexts from the traditional methodologies. Due the high adaptive potential of the approach, the addition of concepts and heuristics of DT to traditional engineering methodologies may be able to reach many other unusual contexts, while still promoting competitiveness, innovation and a higher focus on the user.
Palavras-chave: Design methodology, Design thinking, Assistive technology, Innovation,
-  AMERICA, U. S. O. Amendments to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. CONGRESS, U. S. O. A.: 162 p. 2004.
-  BACK, N. et al. Projeto Integrado de Produtos: Planejamento, Concepção e Modelagem. São Paulo: Manole, 2008. 601 ISBN 852042208X, 9788520422083.
-  BARCZAK, G.; KAHN, K. B. Identifying new product development best practice. Business Horizons, v. 55, n. 3, p. 293-305, 5// 2012. ISSN 0007-681
-  BAXTER, M. Projeto de Produto: Guia Pratico para o Design de Novos Produtos. 3rd. Edgard Blucher, 2011. 344 ISBN 9788521206149.
-  BROWN, T. Design Thinking - uma metodologia poderosa para decretar o fim das velhas ideias. Rio de Janeiro: Campus, 2010. ISBN 9788535238624.
-  CAMBRIDGE, U. O. Inclusive Design Toolkit. 2017. Disponível em: < http://www.inclusivedesigntoolkit.com/ >. Acesso em: 26 may 2017.
-  CLARKSON, J.; ECKERT, C. Design process improvement: a review of current practice. Springer Science & Business Media, 2010. ISBN 1846280613.
-  DORST, K. The core of ‘design thinking’ and its application. Design Studies, v. 32, n. 6, p. 521-532, 11// 2011. ISSN 0142-694X.
-  GERICKE, K.; BLESSING, L. Comparisons of design methodologies and process models across disciplines: a literature review. International Conference on Engineering Design. Denmark. Vol. 1: Design Processes: 12 p. 2011.
-  GIBBONS, S. Design Thinking 101. 2016. Disponível em: < https://www.nngroup.com/articles/design-thinking/ >. Acesso em: 24 mar. 2017.
-  IDEO. Design Thinking for Educators: 81 p. 2012.
-  ______. The Field Guide to Human-Centered Design. California: IDEO, 2015. ISBN 9780991406319.
-  KAHN, K. B. et al. An examination of new product development best practice. Journal of Product Innovation Management, v. 29, n. 2, p. 180-192, 2012. ISSN 1540-5885.
-  KORHONEN, J. Environmental planning vs. systems analysis: Four prescriptive principles vs. four descriptive indicators. Journal of Environmental Management, v. 82, n. 1, p. 51-59, 1// 2007. ISSN 0301-4797.
-  MOSTERT, N. M. Diversity of the Mind as the Key to Successful Creativity at Unilever. Creativity and Innovation Management, v. 16, n. 1, p. 93-100, 2007. ISSN 1467-8691.
-  PLOS, O. et al. A Universalist strategy for the design of Assistive Technology. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics, v. 42, n. 6, p. 533-541, 11// 2012. ISSN 0169-8141.
-  STEVENSON, B.; MCQUIVEY, J. L. The Wide Range of Abilities and its Impact on Computer Technology. A research study commissioned by Microsoft Corporation and cunducted by Forrester Research. Cambridge, MA. 2003
-  STOMPFF, G.; SMULDERS, F.; HENZE, L. Surprises are the benefits: reframing in multidisciplinary design teams. Design Studies, v. 47, p. 187-214, 11// 2016. ISSN 0142-694X.
-  ULRICH, K.; EPPINGER, S. Product Design and Development. McGraw-Hill Education, 2015. ISBN 9780078029066.
-  VIANNA, M. et al. Design Thinking: Inovação em negócios. Rio de Janeiro: MJV Press, 2012. 85 ISBN 978-85-65424-00-4.
-  ŽNIDARŠIČ, J.; JEREB, E. Innovations and Lifelong Learning in Sustainable Organization. Organizacija, v. 44, p. 10, 2011.
Botega, Luiz Fernando de Carvalho; Oliveira, Tainá A. Bueno de; Fettermann, Diego de Castro; "COMPLEMENTING ENGINEERING DESIGN USING DESIGN THINKING: AN ASSISTIVE TECHNOLOGY APPROACH", p. 572-581 . In: .
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/cbgdp2017-058
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação