Novembro 2016 vol. 3 num. 1 - XX Congreso de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital
Full Article - Open Access.
Colonna Curva: A case study on curved folding for the production of architectural components
The research presented in the paper focuses on computational folding. Besides the well-known straight folded structures, like the classical Miura fold, curved folding opens up more complex spatial configurations and delivers at the same time more performative structural effects, as the bended surfaces resulting from the curved crease folding enhance the overall-stiffness of the structure. Against this background the paper discusses the potential of curved folding techniques for the design and fabrication of architectural components. The findings are illustrated in a case study that documents the prototypical realization of a curved column in scale 1:1.
Palavras-chave: curved folding; developable surfaces; deployable structures; parametric design; digital fabrication,
-  Glaeser, G., Gruber, F. (2007). Developable surfaces in contemporary architecture. J. of Math. and the Arts 1, 1–15.
-  Huffman, D. A. (1976). Curvature and creases: a primer on paper. IEEE Trans. Computers C-25, 1010–1019.
-  Lang, R.J. (2011). Origami Design Secrets: Mathematical Methods for an Ancient Art, Taylor & Francis Ltd.
-  Mitani, J., Igarashi, T. (2011). Interactive Design of Planar Curved Folding by Reflection. Pacific Graphics.
-  Pottmann, H., Asperl, A., Hofer, M. Kilian, A. (2007). Architectural Geometry. Bentley Institute Press.
-  Shatz I., Tal A., Leifman G. (2006). Paper craft models from meshes. Vis. Comput. 22, 825–834.
-  Wertheim M (2004). Cones, curves, shells, towers: He made paper jump to life. The New York Times.
-  Ron Resch. Retrieved from http://www.ronresch.org
-  Rhinoceros. Retrieved from http://www.rhino3d.com
-  Grasshopper. Retrieved from www.http://grasshopper3d.com
-  Processing of ACM boards (figure 5). Retrieved form: http://media.alucobond.com/pdf/alucobond/processing/alucobondprocessingen.pdf
-  RoboFold, Gregory Epps. Retrieved from http://www.robofold.com
-  ARUM installation by Zahah Hadid Architects. Retrieved from http://www.zaha-hadid.com/design/contribution-to-2012-venice-biennale-theme-%E2%80%98common-ground%E2%80%99/
Hemmerling, Marco; Mazzucchi, Alessio; "Colonna Curva: A case study on curved folding for the production of architectural components", p. 677-680 . In: XX Congreso de la Sociedad Iberoamericana de Gráfica Digital [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.3 n.1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2016-363
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação