Dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
Beyond the nation? Reflections on design history
The concepts of the nation and national identity are analytical categories extensively used in design history. This paper highlights the complex and elusive nature of these concepts and suggests that their re-evaluation would be fruitful for the development of the design history discipline. In this respect, the idea of cosmopolitanism is proposed as as a key idea to be explored by design historians.
Palavras-chave: design, nation, national identity, globalization, cosmopolitanism,
-  Anderson, B. (1991) Imagined Communities, London: Verso.
-  Barnbrook, J. (2013), Comment during the Papanek Symposium 2013 - Emerging and Alternative Economies of Design: The Social Imperative of Global Design, University of Applied Arts Vienna, 14-15 November 2013.
-  Beck, U. and Levy, D. (2013) ‘Cosmopolitanized Nations: Re-Imagining Collectivity in World Risk Society’, Theory, Culture Andamp; Society, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 3-31.
-  Betts, P. (2007) The Authority of Everyday Objects: A Cultural History of West German Industrial Design, Berkeley: University of California Press.
-  Edensor, T. (2002) National Identity, Popular Culture and Everyday Life, Oxford: Berg.
-  Gellner, E. (1983) Nations and Nationalism, Oxford: Blackwell.
-  Grosby, S. (2005) Nationalism: A Very Short Introduction, Oxford: Oxford University Press.
-  Heller, S. and Ballance, G. (2001) Graphic Design History, New York: Allworth Press.
-  Kikuchi, Y. (2004) Japanese Modernisation and Mingei Theory: Cultural Nationalism and Oriental Orientalism, London: RoutledgeCurzon.
-  Koliopoulos, J.S. and Veremis, T.M. (2002) Greece - The Modern Sequel: From 1831 to the Present, London: Hurst Andamp; Company.
-  Korvenmaa, P. (2010) Finnish Design: A Concise History, Helsinki: University of Art and Design Helsinki.
-  Margolin, V. (2013) ‘Design Studies: Tasks and Challenges’, The Design Journal, vol. 16, no. 4, pp. 400-407.
-  Mouzelis, N. (1978) Modern Greece: Facets of Underdevelopment, London: MacMillan.
-  Ranki, G. (1986) Perifereiakes Evropaikes Oikonomies: 19os-20os Aiwnas (The Economies of the European Periphery: 19th-20th Century), Hermoupolis (Syros): The Scientific and Cultural Foundation of the Cyclades. [In Greek]
-  Yagou, A. (2011) Fragile Innovation: Episodes in Greek Design History, Charleston, SC: CreateSpace.
-  Yagou, A. (2013) ‘Style over substance? The reception of Italian design in Greece’, AIS/Design Storia e Ricerche [Electronic], no 2, November 2013. Available: http://www.aisdesign.org/aisd/en/storiaericerche [8 April 2014].
-  Yakovaki, N. (2006) Evropi meso Elladas: Mia Kambi stin Evropaiki Autosyneidisi (Europe through Greece, A Turn in European Self-consciousness), Athens: Hestia. [In Greek]
Yagou, Artemis; "Beyond the nation? Reflections on design history", p. 421-426 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0059
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação