dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 5 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies
Article - Open Access.
A proposal to rescue rationality in Brazilian design education
Regardless its undeniable universal dimension as an intrinsic activity of man, there is no way to deny that design understanding is something culturally situated. In some sense, its understanding suffers direct interference from the original circumstances of each cultural environment. Every culture has its own instruments and habits to develop its projects. Although, given the almost synchronous planetary technology, one can admit a quite common nature to some proper current objects of contemporary life. So, it seems to be a paradox to face here. Which way should we, design educators, trail? Should we call for reason, with its universal approach, whenever facing such similar complex problems throughout the world? This article intents to observe this kind of relations while considering design education in Brazil. Besides its widespread today, Brazilian design is still very far from achieving the purpose that should be its core issue – to improve a proper approach to the serious design problems that reach all segments of Brazilian society
Palavras-chave: design culture, national identity, design theory, design education, Brazil,
-  Bonsiepe, Gui. (1989) Paper presented at a meeting sponsored by Laboratorio Brasileiro de Design, Santa Catarina.
-  –––––––. (1997) Design: do material ao digital. Florianopolis, BR: CTAI/LBDI Laboratório Brasileiro de Design
-  Buarque de Holanda, Sérgio. (2000) “Raízes do Brasil”. In Intérpretes do Brasil, Volume III. Rio de Janeiro: Nova Aguilar. 
-  Buchanan, Richard. (1995) “Rhetoric, humanism and design” In Buchanan, Richard and Margolin, Victor (eds.) Discovering design, pp. 23-66. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
-  Elias, Norbert. (1993) O processo civilizador [The Civilizing Process] (two volumes). Rio de Janeiro: Jorge Zahar. 
-  Léfèbvre, Henry. (2001)  O direito à cidade. São Paulo: Centauro.
-  Rouanet, Sergio Paulo. (1999) “A cidade iluminista”. In: Schiavo, Cléia e Zettel, Jaime. Memória, Cidade e Cultura. Rio de Janeiro: EdUerj.
-  Thackara, John. (1989) Design after modernism: Beyond the object. London: Thames and Hudson.
-  Wang, James. (2013) “The importance of Aristotle to design thinking”. In Design Issues: History, Theory, Criticism: Volume 29, Number 2. Cambridge, Ma: The MIT Press.
-  Williams, Raymond. (1983) Culture and Society 1780-1950. New York: Columbia University Press. 
Leite, João de Souza; "A proposal to rescue rationality in Brazilian design education", p. 409-414 . In: Tradition, Transition, Tragectories: major or minor influences? [=ICDHS 2014 - 9th Conference of the International Committee for Design History and Design Studies].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-icdhs2014-0057
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação