dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 7 - XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Knowledge-based Design
Article - Open Access.
Virtualization of Medication Delivery in Intensive Care Unit Layouts to Analyze Impact on Nurse Behavior
This research design aims to understand medication delivery behavior under different spatial configurations through the virtualization of Intensive Care Unit (ICU) environments. Architectural visualization using virtual reality is used to demonstrate capabilities in capturing experiential data. Three different Intensive Care Unit floor plans were modeled and presented in 3D virtual environments. Tasks were developed to simulate nurses’ activities during medication delivery to be analyzed for variables thought to affect nurse efficiency, nurse effectiveness, and satisfaction.
Palavras-chave: 3D Virtual environment, Medication delivery, Space syntax, Hospital design,
-  Penn, A., et al. (1999). "The space of innovation: interaction and communication in the work environment." Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design 26(2): 193-218.
-  Barach, P. D., Kenneth N. (2006). "Hospital Design Promoting Patient Safety." American Society for Healthcare Engineering International Conference, 2006.
-  Eldabi, T., et al. (2006). "Simulation modeling in healthcare: reviewing legacies and investigating futures." J Oper Res Soc 58(2): 262-270.
-  Joseph, A. (2006). "The Role of the Physical and Social Environment in Promoting Health, Safety, and Effectiveness in the Healthcare Workplace." The Center for Health Design (Paper #3).
-  Straus, Eugene W., and Alex Straus. Medical Marvels: The 100 Greatest Advances in Medicine. Amherst: Prometheus Books, 2006.
-  Becker, F. (2007). "Nursing Unit Design and Communication Patterns; What is "Real" Work?" Health Environments Research and Design Journal 1(1): 58-62.
-  Gibson, I. W. (2007). An approach to hospital planning and design using discrete event simulation. Simulation Conference, 2007 Winter.
-  Markhede, H. K., Daniel (2007). "Positioning Analysis: social structures in configurative modeling." 6th International Space Syntax Symposium (Reference 069).
-  Peponis, J., et al. (2007). "Designing Space to Support Knowledge Work." Environment and Behavior 39(6): 815-840.
-  Burpee, Heather. "History of Healthcare Architecture." Mahlum. N.p., 2008. Web. 1 August 2013. www.mahlum.com.
-  Dutta, R. (2008 Jan). Influence of Nursing Unit Layout on Staff Communication and Interaction Patterns. These presented to Cornell Univ Grad School.
-  Choudhary, R., et al. (2009). "A predictive model for computing the improvement in a cancer treatment center. Proceedings of the 31st conference on Winter simulation: Simulation - a bridge to the future - Volume 2. Phoenix, Arizona, USA, ACM: 1541-1548.
-  Barrett, L. and P. Yates (2002). "Oncology/hematology nurses: a study of job satisfaction, burnout, and intention to leave the specialty." Australian Health Review 25(3): 109-121.
-  Tyson, G. A., et al. (2002). "The impact of ward design on the behavior, occupational satisfaction and well-being of psychiatric nurses." International Journal of Mental Health Nursing 11(2): 94.
-  Blasak, R. E., et al. (2003). Healthcare process analysis: the use of simulation to evaluate hospital operations between the emergency department and a medical telemetry unit. Proceedings of the 35th conference on Winter simulation: driving innovation. New Orleans, Louisiana, Winter Simulation Conference: 1887-1893.
-  Shepley, M. M. D., Kimberly (2003). "Nursing Unit Configuration and its Relationship to Noise and Nurse Walking Behavior: An AIDS/HIV Unit Case Study." The Academy Journal, AIA 6, October 2003.
-  Douglas, C. H. and M. R. Douglas (2004). "Patient-friendly hospital environments: exploring the patients'' perspective." Health Expectations: An International Journal Of Public Participation In Health Care And Health Policy 7(1): 61-73.
-  Douglas, C. H. and M. R. Douglas (2005). "Patient-centered improvements in health-care built environments: perspectives and design indicators." Health Expectations: An International Journal Of Public Participation In Health Care And Health Policy 8(3): 264-276.
-  K. Preston White, J. (2005). A survey of data resources for simulating patient flows in healthcare delivery systems. Proceedings of the 37th conference on Winter simulation. Orlando, Florida, Winter Simulation Conference: 926-935. Journal of Building Performance Simulation 3(3): 171-184.
-  Henrich, A. C., Marilyn P; Bafna, Sonit; Choudhary, Ruchi; Heo, Yeonsook; Skeierczynski, Boguslaw A (2009). "Unit-Related Factors That Affect Nursing Time with Patients- Spatial Analysis of the Time and Motion Study." HERD.
-  Heo, Y. C., Ruchi; Bafna, Sonit; Hendrich, Ann; Chow, Marylyn P. (2009). "A Modeling Approach for Estimating the Impact of Spatial Configuration on nurses'' Movement." 7th International Space Syntax Symposium: Ref 041.
-  Lu, Y. P., John; Zimring, Craig (2009). "Targeted Visibility Analysis in Buildings: Correlating Targeted Visibility Analysis with Distribution of People and Their Interactions within an Intensive Care Unit." 7th International Space Syntax Symposium.
-  Markhede, H. (2010). "Spatial positioning: method development for spatial analysis of interaction in buildings." Trita-ARK. Forskningspublikationer: iii,
-  Cai, H. Z., Craig (2012). "Out of Sight, Out of Reach: Correlating spatial metrics of nurse station typology with nurses'' communication and Co-Awareness in an intensive care unit." 8th International Space Syntax Symposium.
-  Seo, Hyun Bo, Choi, Y., Andamp; Zimring, C. (2011). Impact of Hospital Unit Design for Patient-Centered Care on Nurses’ Behavior. Environment and Behavior, 43(4), 443-468.
-  Turner, A. (2004). “Depthmap 4 | A Researcher''s Handbook", Bartlet School of Graduate Studies, UCL, London. http://www.vr.ucl.ac.uk/depthmap/handbook/depthmap 4r1.pdf
Keshani, Smruti; Swarts, Matthew; "Virtualization of Medication Delivery in Intensive Care Unit Layouts to Analyze Impact on Nurse Behavior", p. 624-628 . In: Proceedings of the XVII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Knowledge-based Design [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.7].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2013-0123
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação