dezembro 2014 vol. 1 num. 8 - XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics - SIGraDi: Design in Freedom
Article - Open Access.
Toward a taxonomy of architectural robotics
Robotics in architecture is a fast-emerging area of research and design today. The current research and practices of robotics in architecture tend to be, to a great degree, techno-positivist and framed by a narrowly defined instrumentalist view. The paper presents comprehensive taxonomy of a broad range of robotic applications so as to meaningfully guide, systematize, and clarify multi-faceted design or research explorations in architecture and beyond. The paper advances four frameworks: role of robotics in architecture; modes of interaction between robots, humans and architecture; the Vitruvian framework; and robots classified by form; all of which point to new avenues of potential exploration while also revealing the gaps and biases in the current research and design in the discipline.
Palavras-chave: Robots, Architectural Robotics, Taxonomies, Robotic Fabrication,
-  Murphy, D., DeSanto, T., Andamp; Bryce, I. (Producers), Andamp; Bay, M. (Director). (2007). Transformers. [Motion Picture] United States: Dreamworks Pictures.
-  Beesley, P. (2006). Responsive architectures: subtle technologies 2006 Riverside Architectural Press.
-  Beesley, P., Gorbet, R., Ohrstedt, P., Andamp; Isaacs, H. (2010). Hylozoic Ground: liminal responsive architecture (1st ed.). Cambridge, Ont.: Riverside Architectural Press.
-  Braumann, J., Andamp; Brell-Cokcan, S. (2011). Parametric Robot Control: Integrated CAD/CAM for Architectural Design.
-  Braumann, J., Andamp; Brell-Cokcan, S. (2012). Real-Time Robot Sim- ulation and Control for Architectural Design. 30th eCAADe Conference, Prague,
-  Brayer, M. A. (2013). Flight Assembled Architecture: Gramazio\Andamp; Kohler and Raffaello D’Andrea HYX.
-  Bullivant, L. (2006). Responsive environments: architecture, art and design. London; New York: V Andamp; a; Distributed in North America by Harry N. Abrams, Inc.
-  Clarke, A. C. (1968). A space odyssey. New York, NY: New American Library, Inc, Bicentennial Man. Columbus, C. (Director). (1999).[Motion Picture] United States: Buena Vista Pictures.
-  De Santis, A., Siciliano, B., De Luca, A., Andamp; Bicchi, A. (2008). An atlas of physical human–robot interaction. Mechanism and Machine Theory, 43(3), 253-270.
-  Dierichs, K., Schwinn, T., Andamp; Menges, A. (2013). Robotic Pouring of Aggregate Structures. Rob| Arch 2012 (pp. 196-205) Springer. Gramazio, F., Andamp; Kohler, M. (2014). Made by Robots: Challenging Architecture at the Large Scale AD Wiley.
-  Hughes, T., Andamp; Davidson, A. (1968). The Iron Giant: A Story in Five Nights A. Knopf.
-  Lavallee, J., Vroman, R., Andamp; Keshet, Y. (2011). Automated Folding of Sheet Metal Components with a Six-axis Industrial Robot. Proceedings of ACADIA 11: Integration through Computation [Proceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA)], pp. 144-151. Lewis, M. A., Andamp; Arbib, M. (1999). Introduction to the Special Issue on Biomorphic Robots. Autonomous Robots, 7(3), 207-209.
-  Kurtz, G. (Producer), Andamp; Lucas, G. (Director). (1977). Star Wars.[Motion Picture] United States: 20th Century Fox.
-  McEwen, I. K. (2003). Vitruvius: writing the body of architecture. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
-  Minsky, M. L. (1985). Robotics (1st ed.). Garden City, N.Y.: Anchor Press/Doubleday.
-  Minsky, M. L. (2006). The emotion machine: commonsense thinking, artificial intelligence, and the future of the human mind. New York: Simon Andamp; Schuster.
-  Silver, M. (2013). Off-road City. ACADIA 13: Adaptive Architecture [Proceedings of the 33rd Annual Conference of the Associa- tion for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA), Cambridge, Ontario, Canada. pp. 445-446.
-  Stavric, M., Andamp; Kaftan, M. (2012). Robotic fabrication of modular formwork for non-standard concrete structures. Proceedings of the eCAADe Conference,
-  Tibbits, S. (2011). A Model for Intelligence of Large-scale Self-as- sembly. ACADIA 11: Integration through Computation [Pro- ceedings of the 31st Annual Conference of the Association for Computer Aided Design in Architecture (ACADIA)], Banff, Canada. pp. 342-349.
-  Vitruvius Pollio, Andamp; Morgan, M. H. (1960; 1914). Vitruvius: the ten books on architecture [De architectura.]. New York: Dover Publications.
-  Yanco, H. A., Andamp; Drury, J. L. (2002). A taxonomy for human-ro- bot interaction. Proceedings of the AAAI Fall Symposium on Human-Robot Interaction, pp. 111-119.
Daas, Mahesh; "Toward a taxonomy of architectural robotics", p. 623-626 . In: Proceedings of the XVIII Conference of the Iberoamerican Society of Digital Graphics: Design in Freedom [=Blucher Design Proceedings, v.1, n.8].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2318-6968, DOI 10.5151/despro-sigradi2014-0129
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação