Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
TOPOLOGICAL OPTIMIZATION OF PIEZOELECTRIC ENERGY HARVESTING DEVICES FOR IMPROVED ELECTROMECHANICAL EFFICIENCY AND FREQUENCY RANGE
The development of energy harvesting devices with piezoelectric transducers has been widely studied in the last decade. Most of previous studies considered a resonant cantilever beam with an attached tip mass and focused on the proper modeling of the cantilever device, design and optimization of electric harvesting circuit and nonlinear amplification of resonant vibration amplitude. However, few studies focused on the optimization of the piezoelectric material distribution as a technique to improve the energy harvesting efficiency. This work presents some results on the topological optimization of the piezoelectric layer bonded to a sliding-free plate (base excitation) connected to an electric circuit. This is done using an electromechanical finite element model for laminated piezoelectric plates combined to a genetic algorithm based optimization. The model fully represents the coupling between base structure, piezoelectric layers and circuits. Electric circuit parameters and tip mass value are optimized simultaneously to guarantee best operating conditions for each topology. Additionally, an inductance is considered in parallel with the harvesting circuit impedance as a means to improve the frequency range of the device. Results indicate that topology optimization of the active layers may increase the harvesting efficiency in terms of harvested energy per unit mass of the device. It was also observed that the inclusion of resonant circuits may improve the amount of harvested energy and the effective frequency range of the device.
Palavras-chave: Energy harvesting, topology optimization, piezoelectric materials, resonant circuits.,
-  Sodano H.A., Inman D.J. and Park G., “A review of power harvesting from vibration using piezoelectric materials”. Shock and Vibration Digest. 36(3):197-206, 2004.
-  Guan M.J. and Liao W.H., “On the efficiencies of piezoelectric energy harvesting circuits towards storage device voltages”. Smart Materials and Structures. 16(2)498-505, 2007.
-  Adhikari S., Friswell M.I. and Inman D.J., “Piezoelectric energy harvesting from broadband random vibrations”. Smart Materials and Structures. 18(11):115005, 2009.
-  Erturk A. and Inman D.J., “Issues in mathematical modeling of piezoelectric energy harvesters”. Smart Materials and Structures. 17:065016, 2008.
-  Friswell M.I. and Adhikari S., “Sensor shape design for piezoelectric cantilever beams to harvest vibration energy”. Journal of Applied Physics. 108(1):014901, 2010.
-  Nakasone P.H. and Silva E.C.N., “Design of piezoelectric energy harvesting devices and laminate structures by applying topology optimization”. Proceedings of 16th SPIE Annual International Symposium Smart Structures and Materials and Nondestructive Evaluation and Health Monitoring. 7286, 2009.
-  Rupp C.J., Evgrafov A., Maute K. and Dunn M.L., “Design of piezoelectric energy harvesting systems: A topology optimization approach based on multilayer plates and shells”. Journal of Intelligent Material Systems and Structures. 20(16):1923-1939, 2009.
-  Vasques C.M.A. and Rodrigues J.D., “Passive vibration control with shunted modal piezoelectric transducers”. Proceedings of the IV ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Smart Structures and Materials. A. Cunha et al., eds., Porto, Portugal, 2009.
-  Pagani Jr. C.C. and Trindade M.A., “Optimization of modal filters based on arrays of piezoelectric sensors”. Smart Materials and Structures. 18(095046), 200
-  Priya S., Inman D.J., “Energy harvesting Technologies”. Ed.1, Springer, 2009.
-  Godoy T.C. and Trindade M.A., “Modeling and analysis of laminate composite plates with embedded active-passive piezoelectric networks”. Journal of Sound and Vibration. 330:194-216, 20
-  Trindade M.A. and Maio C.E.B., “Multimodal passive vibration control of sandwich beams with shunted shear piezoelectric materials”. Smart Materials and Structures. 17:055015, 2008.
-  Thomas O., Deü J.-F. and Ducarne J., “Vibrations of an elastic structure with shunted piezoelectric patches: efficient finite element formulation and electromechanical coupling coefficients”. International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering. 80(2):235- 268, 2009.
Godoy, T. C. de; Trindade, M. A.; Deü, J.-F.; "TOPOLOGICAL OPTIMIZATION OF PIEZOELECTRIC ENERGY HARVESTING DEVICES FOR IMPROVED ELECTROMECHANICAL EFFICIENCY AND FREQUENCY RANGE", p. 4003-4016 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-19664
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação