Maio 2014 vol. 1 num. 1 - 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics
Full Article - Open Access.
THERMO-FLUID-DYNAMICS QUENCHING MODEL: EFFECT ON MATERIAL PROPERTIES
A fully-coupled model of quenching by submerging for steel workpieces is presented. The model includes cooling of the piece due to piece-to-bath heat transfer calculations by solving the multiphase problem of an evaporable fluid, as well as the corresponding metallurgical transformations, the generation of residual stresses and associated geometrical distortions. The heat transfer model takes into account different boiling stages, from film boiling at very high workpiece surface temperatures, to single-phase convection at surface temperatures below saturation. The evolution and activation of each heat transfer mechanism depend on the dynamics of the vapor-liquid multiphase system of the quenching bath. The multiphase flow was modeled using the drift-flux mixture model, including an equation of conservation of energy of the liquid phase. Metallurgical transformations, geometrical distortions and residual stresses at the end of the process, are obtained based on the different cooling rates along the piece. The final distribution of metallurgical phases is obtained by the integration of the thermal evolution and using information of the CCT diagrams of studied steels. The analysis of deformations and residual stresses takes into account elasto-plasticity (without viscosity effects), transformation induced plasticity and hardening restoring phenomena. Comparison of results considering the approach presented here versus a simplified heat transfer model indicates that the level of induced residual stresses are noticeable different implying the necessity of developing a more precise heat transfer quenching model.
Palavras-chave: Steel Heat Treatment, Quenching, Two-Phase Flow, Heat Partition Model, Residual Stresses,
-  F. Waeckel. Une loi de comportement thermo-mtallurgique des aciers pour le calcul mcanique des structures. PhD thesis, Ensam Paris, 1994.
-  Sabine Denis, Pierre Archambault, Elisabeth Gautier, Andr´e Simon, and G´erard Beck. Prediction of residual stress and distortion of ferrous and non-ferrous metals: Current status and future developments. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 11:92–102, 200 10.1007/s11665-002-0014-
-  J.B. Leblond, G. Mottet, and J.C. Devaux. A theoretical and numerical approach to the plastic behaviour of steels during phase transformationsi. derivation of general relations. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 34(4):395 – 409, 1986.
-  J.B. Leblond, G. Mottet, and J.C. Devaux. A theoretical and numerical pproach to the plastic behaviour of steels during phase transformationsii. study of classical plasticity for ideal-plastic phases. Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 34(4):411 – 432, 1986.
-  J.B. Leblond, J. Devaux, and J.C. Devaux. Mathematical modelling of transformation plasticity in steels i: Case of ideal-plastic phases. International Journal of Plasticity, 5(6):551 – 572, 1989.
-  J.B. Leblond. Mathematical modelling of transformation plasticity in steels ii: Coupling with strain hardening phenomena. International Journal of Plasticity, 5(6):573 – 591, 1989.
-  M Eshraghi Kakhki, A Kermanpur, and M A Golozar. Numerical simulation of continuous cooling of a low alloy steel to predict microstructure and hardness. Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering, 17(4):045007, 2009.
-  Arif Sugianto, Michiharu Narazaki, Minoru Kogawara, Atsushi Shirayori, Soo-Young Kim, and Satoshi Kubota. Numerical simulation and experimental verification of carburizing-quenching process of scr420h steel helical gear. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 209(7):3597–3609, 2009.
-  B. Smoljan. Numerical simulation of steel quenching. Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, 11:75–79, 2002. 10.1007/s11665-002-0011-5.
-  Willem J. J. Vorster, Morne W. Van Der Watt, Andrew M. Venter, Edward C. Oliver, D. G. Leo Prakash, and Alexander M. Korsunsky. Influence of quenchant hydrodynamics and boiling phase incipient temperature shifts on residual stress formation. Heat Transfer Engineering, 30(7):564–573, 2009.
-  Diego N. Passarella, Elena B. Mart´in, and Fernando Varas. Mathematical modeling of heat transfer during quenching process. Conference on Numerical Methods for Hyperbolic Equations: Theory and Applications, 2012. Santiago de Compostela, July 4-8, 20 Proceedings to be published.
-  Mamoru Ishii and Takashi Hibiki. Thermo-fluid Dynamics of Two phase-flow. Springer, New York, 2006.
-  Bo?stjan Kon?car and Iztok Tiselj. Influence of near-wall modelling on boiling flow simulation. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 240(2):275 – 283, 2010. Twelfth International Topical Meeting on Nuclear Reactor Thermal Hydraulics (NURETH-12).
-  Roy Freud, Ronen Harari, and Eran Sher. Collapsing criteria for vapor film around solid spheres as a fundamental stage leading to vapor explosion. Nuclear Engineering and Design, 239(4):722–727, 2009.
-  Abdurrahim Bolukbasi and Dogan Ciloglu. Investigation of heat transfer by means of pool film boiling on vertical cylinders in gravity. Heat and Mass Transfer, 44:141–148, 2007. 10.1007/s00231-007-0238-7.
-  G. Kocamustafaogullari and M. Ishii. Interfacial area and nucleation site density in boiling systems. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 26(9):1377–1387, 1983.
-  G. Kocamustafaogullari and M. Ishii. Foundation of the interfacial area transport equation and its closure relations. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, 38(3):481–493, 1995.
-  George E. Totten, Maurice A.H. Howes, and Tatsuo Inoue. Handbook of Residual Stress and Deformation of Steel. ASTM International, 2001.
-  N.T. Trinh. Sur la Mod´elisation du Comportement Thermom´ecanique et M´etallurgique des Aciers. PhD thesis, ´ Ecole Polytechnique, 2008.
-  S. Petit-Grostabussiat. Cons´equences m´ecaniques des transformations structurales dans les alliages ferreux. PhD thesis, Institut National des Sciences Appliqu´ees de Lyon, 2000.
-  T. Ericsson and B. Hildenwall. Thermal and transformation stresses. Sagamore Army Materials Research Conference Proceedings, 1982.
-  C. Jensen. Dimensional changes during heat treatment of hot work tool steels. Industrial Heating, 60(3), 1993.
-  H. Berns. Distortion and crack formation by heat treatment of tools. Veitsch-Radex Rundschau, (1), 1989.
-  Caner S¸ims¸ir and C. Hakan Gür. 3d fem simulation of steel quenching and investigation of the effect of asymmetric geometry on residual stress distribution. Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 207(1-3):211–221, 2008.
Passarella, D. N.; L-Cancelos, R.; Vieitez, I.; Varas, F.; Martín, E. B.; "THERMO-FLUID-DYNAMICS QUENCHING MODEL: EFFECT ON MATERIAL PROPERTIES", p. 3625-3644 . In: In Proceedings of the 10th World Congress on Computational Mechanics [= Blucher Mechanical Engineering Proceedings, v. 1, n. 1].
São Paulo: Blucher,
ISSN 2358-0828, DOI 10.5151/meceng-wccm2012-19499
últimos 30 dias | último ano | desde a publicação